Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Errant woke up the way he always had, ever since he could remember.

By Inkblot swinging down from the top bunk and landing on him, screeching with the force of a thousand demons. "ERRANNNNNT WAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Errant flicked his fingers, lavender strings coming out of them and stopping his twin from crushing him. "Dude," he complained, motioning at the clock. It read 7:17 am.

"Come on, Errant!" Inkblot shouted. "There are universes to visit!"

...Sometimes, Errant wished his brother had never invented alarm clocks.

He got up, though.

With a thought, the clothes he was wearing became something more suited to the Guardian of Destruction, since they were made from his strings. An outfit similar in style to Classic Sans formed. The jacket was a much darker blue, and his slippers were red instead of pink, but it was largely the same. He frowned at the hood for a moment, eventually making it have white fluff around the edges.

He squinted around the room for a bit, finding his glasses tangled around the bright red scarf Inkblot had given him a few weeks ago, on the anniversary of their creation. He put both on, grinning as he looked in the mirror. The red of his scarf, slippers, and glasses contrasted his deep blue jacket and black shorts nicely, and both stood out against his pearlescent bones.

He turned to his twin and raised an eyebrow. Inkblot hadn't even bothered to change from the pajamas he slept in, coloured a rainbow tye-dye bright enough to literally glow in the dark.

Inkblot looked down and blushed in embarrassment. His clothes rippled like the paint they were made from. He now wore a baggy, tan T-shirt, dark brown, knee-length overalls, and a faded blue Sans hoodie tied around his waist. His high-top sneakers were splattered with ink. He glanced in the closet. "Errant, where's my scarf?" he asked worriedly, afraid he'd lost the gift Errant had given him for their last creation day.

Errant smirked and pointed to the long cloth draped around the top rung of the bunk beds' ladder. It was a lighter brown than Ink's overalls, though not by much, and it faded into a slightly darker tan than Inkblot's shirt at the ends.

"Thanks, Erry," he chirped, shameless, as he bounced over and retrieved his scarf.

Errant rolled his eyes, grinning.

It was going to be an interesting day, they could feel it.

Inkblot dragged Errant through a portal. "Come on, come on, come on!"

Errant sighed, but did not resist. "We see Daydream and Nightmare every day, Squid."

Inkblot whirled around to face him, still moving. "Exactly!"

Errant refused to admit that his brother's answer made no sense whatsoever.

"HI DAY!!!!!" Inkblot shouted, startling Daydream so badly he fell out of the Tree.

" 'Sup Nighty," Errant greeted calmly. "Is Daydream alright?"

Nightmare looked at his brother, who was laying on the ground but not screaming or anything, and shrugged. "He'll be fine."

Inkblot laid on the ground next to Daydream for a few seconds, but had far too much energy to stay still. He dragged Daydream off the ground and tugged him towards the village.

Nightmare and Errant sat against the Tree for a bit, talking quietly and watching their respective brothers cause chaos in the nearby village. "Do they drink coffee?" wondered Errant.