Kabanata 54

Sef's POV

"I'm afraid you can't play the piano just like before. Base on the oblique, anteroposterior, and lateral radiography views, you have phalanges fractures, some tissues are injured." Ipinapakita sa akin ni Dr. Melendez ang resulta ng diagnosis sa mga kamay ko mula sa screen ng Ipad. It looks worse than I imagined.

"You undergo acute reduction and as you can see, your fingers are immobilized from  pinning the fracture with small wires to procedures with plates and screws.  We are able to put it back together but it might won't work the same, anymore."

Parang hangin na dumaan lang sa kabilang taenga ko ang lahat ng sinasabi ng orthopedic surgeon na nag-opera ng kamay ko. Nakatiim-bagang ako habang nakikinig sa kanya at nakatitig sa mga kamay kong may mga maliliit na wire na nakatusok para maiwasan ang complications kapag naigalaw. 

I'm thankful that I'm still alive. Hindi pa gaanong nagsi-sink in sa akin kung gaano kalala ang sitwasyon na inabot ng mga kamay ko. It doesn't matter. What's done is done and I can never undo the past. I can undergo therapy para bumalik sa dati ang functions ng mga kamay ko.

I passed out that night. I don't know how I got here in the hospital but I woke up the next morning with pain all over my body. I can not move my hands and my face is swollen. Namulatan ko si Asher na nagbabantay sa akin. My family and relatives are living in Switzerland.

"How long will it take for my hands to recover?"

"It will stay that way for 3 weeks. Then another 2 weeks with splinting and buddy taping. After that, you will have some follow-up examinations and consultations just to make sure that the surgery is accurately done. Then, you have to undergo therapy..." Madami pang ibinilin ang doktor pero wala na doon ang buong atensiyon ko.

"Did you tell Mom-"

"Of course! I have to! Look at you! You almost died, Sef!" nagtatagis ang bagang niya habang nagsasalita. Napapikit ako upon remembering what happened that night.

"They will be here in an hour." He informed me. Ilang minuto ang lumipas nang pumasok naman ang mga pulis kasama ang School Admin ng BCA. Hindi gaanong malinaw at kita sa CCTV di-kalayuan ang nangyari so I have to tell the authorities what exactly happened.

"I'm sorry that you suffered this within the school premises. I assure you that those who did these to you will be under proper disciplinary action and will face the cases charged to them." pahayag ni Dr. Matthew Ramirez, the BCA owner, and School Administrator.

"Thank you, Sir." mahina kong usal ng pasasalamat.

"And don't worry about the hospital bills, the school and those who did these to you will be held responsible. Dr. Melendez is a friend of mine and he assured me of your recovery." paliwanag nito.

Huminga ako nang malalim at tumango. That's actually the least of my concerns. He bid goodbye when the nurse entered to monitor my vitals. 

"Can you check on Dionne? Nakauwi ba siya nang safe-"