forty-one.

August 2019

August 2019

I stood in the bathroom, my toothbrush in my mouth as I turned the tap on, the cold water streaming out as I took my toothbrush from my mouth and set it under the water stream. I shook it out before gently setting it in the cup that sat at the side of the sink. I looked up at myself in the mirror, my makeup from yesterday smeared under my eyes, not having taken it off last night after coming home from HQ pretty late. I had spent the day upstate at the compound with Nat, helping her with inventory, which was much harder now considering we were the only ones who did it. She had told me Rhodey had taken a week off, which left Nat by herself at HQ.

I bent down, opening the cabinet and pulling out w packet of makeup wipes, the sound of a phone ringing somewhere in the house bouncing through the walls. "Ally" Steve shouted from the bedroom, which was a few rooms over, my hands pulling out a make up wipe as I turned towards the door. "Yeah?" I shouted back as I brought the wipe up to my eyes, wiping underneath them as I leaned out of the door. "Your phone" Steve told me, in the middle of changing as he held his arm out the bedroom door with my phone in his hand.

"Throw" I told him as he tossed my phone over at me, my left hand going out as I caught it easily, flipping it as I looked down at the screen. There wasn't any Caller ID, which didn't phase me to much, as normally if it was an unknown number it was probably someone from the government. I sighed as I clicked accept, lifting my phone up to my ear as I continued to remove my makeup. "Hello?" I said, clearing my throat quickly as I turned towards the mirror, making sure I was getting all of my smudged mascara. "Ally" someone said back to me, my eyebrows furrowing immediately.

"Tony?" I asked, recognising the voice immediately as I wondered why Tony was calling me considering we hadn't spoken for so long now. "No, it's God" he replied sarcastically, and I could practically hear him roll his eyes. "Bold of you to assume god would want to speak with me" I replied snarkingly, lowing my voice a little bit as I threw the wipe into the trash can, turning towards the door as I poked my head out. Steve was still in the bedroom, his bare back visible as he stood inside the closet, trying to pick a shirt.

"How about we don't get into your internal moral dilemma" Tony replied as I gently set my hand on the door knob, quietly shutting the door as slowly as I could. "Are you alright?" I asked him as I moved further into the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the bath far from the door, not wanting Steve to hear. "Yeah, everything's great" Tony said as I nodded my head, setting my free hand on the bathtub, crossing my ankles as my feet sat on the fluffy bath mat. "You?" he asked me as I stared down at the plain white tiles. "Yeah, I'm fine" I replied quickly, nodding my head even though he couldn't see me. "I'm glad you called" I added, not having spoken to Tony for more than a full year now.

"Pepper has instructed me to" he replied with a small sigh, the smile he had audible in his voice. "Gun is pointed at my head as we speak" he told me as I let out a small quiet laugh, a smile slapped on my face. "Tell her I say hi" I said to him as there was rumbling on the other side, the sound of footsteps and floors creaking slipping through as Tony walked around. "Tell her yourself" he told me as he took a moment, falling silent. "I'll text you my address, take a day trip upstate" he said quickly, my eyebrows raising at that request. "This weekend preferably" he continued as I let out a small breath, trying to think about what I had planned.