Chapter 5: Eggplant

Chapter 5: Eggplant

I wake up with the sun shining through my curtains. I open my eyes and turn to see Jake, still heavily sleeping and lightly snoring, with his arm around me. His grip tightens when I try to get out of bed, so I settle on turning around to reach my phone. I turn it on and scream. The sound makes Jake wake up.

"What? What happened?" He asks, sitting up. I stare at him and show him my phone.

"It's after 9:30. We're late. We're late for school." I tell him. He squints and groans, lying back down.

"Chill, June, one day of skipping isn't going to hurt anybody." He tells me. I contemplate for a second, before unlocking my phone and checking my Instagram. One day of skipping isn't going to hurt anybody, I repeated in my head.

Looking back at Jake and see him sleeping again. I scroll through Instagram, stalking Shawn Mendes and Noah Centineo. I look through J-Bears Instagram too, watching him flex his muscles.

A while later, he wakes up and after seeing what I'm looking at, he smirks. I roll my eyes at him and get out of his grip. I grab my clothes out of the closet and leave to the bathroom. After a quick shower, I get dressed and brush my teeth and hair. I get out of the bathroom to see Jake dressed too, and waiting for me to exit.

He walks past me into the bathroom, probably to brush his teeth with the spare toothbrush we keep for him. I go downstairs and into the kitchen. There's a note on the counter from my mom and I read it.

Karlie and Jake,
I didn't want to wake you up for school this morning, because I realised how tired you two are, so tired that you missed the alarm. All three of them, actually. I called Lauren, she's okay with Jake skipping a day,
Don't trash the house.

I throw it in the bin and open the fridge, taking out some sausages and making hot dogs. Jake comes downstairs and I pass him two, him kissing me on the cheek in return.

"Wanna go to the amusement park?" He asks once we're done. I nod and stand up, walking towards my shoes. "I didn't say we're going right now!"

"I don't care, hurry up!" I shout. He runs towards me and picks me up, his goofy smile on his face.

"Okay," He says in a baby voice. I scrunch my nose and squirm out of his grip.

"Don't do that." I tell him. He chuckles and starts putting his shoes on. I do the same and soon, we're in the car.

We get to the amusement park and Jake buys are tickets. I'm not a girl that wants the guy to always pay, so a few years ago Jake and I decided that we will take turns paying for things.

"Where do you want to go first?" He asks. I think and point to the bumper cars. He groans dramatically and sighs. "We always go on those!" He yells. I narrow my eyes at him and take his hand, leading him to the attraction. We get into two separate cars, and wait for it to start.

Once it does, we start bumping into others, focusing mainly on each other. I try to get away from Jake, when I see him about to bump into me. I'm too slow, and he bumps, more like crashes into me, making my car to spin slightly. My head bangs on the steering wheel, but I bring no attenton to it, knowing that it wasn't anything strong, just a small hit.

We get off the bumper cars and decide to go on the King Roller Coaster, which is the biggest and fastest roller coaster in the world.

We get into the cart, and wait for the ride to begin. Finally, the brakes let go with its telltale clank and the carts shudder. The chains strain to pull us up the rise, lifting us higher and higher until we can see the entire park. Below us, people too scared to go on the ride watch, living vicariously through the people that went on. 'They look like ants from this height', I think.