Unplanned meeting

"Shit when did the Rotoms die!" Raising the phone you stared at the dead screen, "hell, now everything's gonna take longer." You grumbled, pocketing the phone in your back pocket.

"Why'd you even agree to be a damn messenger boy, putting your own damn life on the line for what? A stupid cure?" You crossed your arms, kicking up a couple of rocks. You looked up, startled by the sight of Leon, who looked considerably worse than the last time you saw him if that was even possible.

"Oh fuck you're bleeding." He looked up alarmed as you hurried over, "how long ago..?"

"3 hours. I'm not bleeding fast enough if I'm honest."

"Leon! You're kidding Sonias just a 3 hour ride away, how come...." you trailed off, the images of Leon having to put down his own brother flashing through your mind. You breathlessly let out an 'oh.'

"Ever since he died I... I've been hoping maybe I'd follow shortly behind. But now I ain't sure I'd bleed fast enough before I turned." You placed a hand over your mouth, staring at him with horror.

"Arceus you're..?"

"Infected? Yeah." Leon said. You frowned, back before all this happened around the Gym challenge, you only watched him on your phone and somehow you'd developed a crush on him. But when the region turned for the worst so did you.

"Well... I can't do much.." you dropped your hands into your lap, You hadn't realized you went and crouched in front of him, "and this is probably going to be the last time I'll see you..." you took a big inhale, moving his hands away from his face as you leaned closer, you could practically hear your heartbeat in your eyes and it felt like you were going to die.

He was definitely confused about what you were doing, but his lips were surprisingly soft. You knew he wouldn't return it, being so overwhelmed with his emotions and all so you made it quick, a single goodbye kiss.

Backing away you glanced off towards the wild area, "is there anything I can do?" You heard him take a inhale, fidgeting with your hands you mustered as much courage as you could to look at him again.

"I was supposed to meet Raihan up by Hammerlocke, bring him to Sonia's before the rotoms went dead, although there's been a change of plans." He coughed into his hand, staring at it before looking back up to you, "look, I'm not going to turn into one of them so you'll have to carry on what I was doing for me if you want."

"What are you going to do while I'm gone?"

"Do you really want to know?" He said plainly, he had stood up now, towering over you now, and began to walk away, watching you over his shoulder.

"No. Not really." You said, rubbing your arm. "I'm glad you made it this far.. by the way."

He struck his signature pose, wincing in pain at his wound, "see you around eventually." He walked off, holding the wound on his side with one hand and waving with the other. You sucked in a breath nodding.

"See you around." To your luck, your voice didn't crack, a bunch of emotions you had bottled up since hops death threatened to spill and with a lot of effort, you managed to keep it down. You walked out of the station, staring the wild area down.

This wouldn't be so hard, most pokemon would run from you, keeping you mostly out of trouble although it's the ones that are infected that you'd have to watch for although here it isn't as bad compared to the routes. You tightened your grip around the worn-out backpack. Thoughts passing faster than a train. Raihan sat leaned against the stairs to Hammerlocke, face flushed as if he just ran a marathon. He was fidgeting with his arm, muttering under his breath.

"Raihan, you good?" You asked, tilting your head.

"Oh yeah, I'm good. What about you?"

"No comment. im here to escort you, so..."

"Yeouch a little cold aren't we?"

"I've gone through some shit. Look I have a drop to make to Kabu in Motostoke so either you come with me or you can walk by yourself to Sonia's."

"Woah Woah I'll come with you," he raised his hands defensively, pushing himself off the wall, "where's Leon anyways? He's the one that's supposed to be meeting me." You tensed up at his name, trying to figure out what to say, "(Y/N)? Did.. something happen?"

"He's dead. I met him half an hour ago, he wanted me to go in his place." You said a little more snappy than you'd had liked. His face dropped,

"Oh." He blinked a few times, his face was beginning to turn red—especially around his eyes—oh shit is he trying not to cry? You bit your lip, trying to think of something to say. What were you supposed to say? You had blocked out a lot of your emotions so you could survive and it felt like that cap was twisting off. You blinked a couple of times, then sighed.

"Just.. come on." You motioned him forward, keeping your eyes trained down at the ground as you both made your way to motostoke. It had been a couple of months since you had met with kabu, you ran a hand through your hair. Detangling what you could.

Glancing back over your shoulder you noticed Raihan kept a hand over his forearm, you couldn't see anything since he covered it with his hoodie. But that sure was weird. Maybe it was just a nervous habit or something. If it was you didn't blame him, there were plenty of reasons to be nervous. Motostoke's steps were coming into view now. After Kabu would be milo and Nessa, last time you visited them they had grouped and had a decent setup going.

"Have you seen Milo and Nessa recently?"

Edit: rephrased a sentence for continuity <3