Kabu

"I don't think so, why?"

You shrugged, "just wondering, they grouped up last time I'd seen them and had a pretty decent setup." You couldn't believe how short you actually were compared to him. Like seriously there was a good foot in difference.

"Guess I'll have to check it out when we go there."

"We? Sorry buddy I work alone." He frowned, muttering something under his breath.  You huffed, peering around the corners of the entrance, it was unusually quiet. You glanced back at raihan who fixated his gaze on the ground, did it hurt him that much? He should know better. Was the desolance Kabu's doing? Or did something come through here? The way some of these bodies laid stretched across the street made you even wonder if Kabu was even alive.

"There's no way anything man-made did that..." you muttered. A deafening banging arose from the boutique shop, making you jump your height from paranoia alone. You looked into the glass that didn't want to shatter under its continued pressure, Somewhat relieved that it was in there and it wasn't kabu. 

You whistled a tune that echoed over the quiet town, it was risky but it didn't seem like there was anything outside except for you and Raihan. There were three short whistles from behind you. Making you spin around.

To your amazement it was Kabu! He stood tall, arm behind his back. His uniform was slightly tattered but otherwise, he looked perfectly fine.

"Kabu! It's so good to see you again. I see you're still fighting strong." You had run over, playfully hitting his arm. "You ready for the trade-off?"

"Yeah, I've got the stuff in the Poke center, come." He pivoted, almost falling into a marching pattern, as he led you to the center. You glanced behind your shoulder again. Raihan had his arms crossed, the frown seemingly permanent on his face. At least he was looking up now.

"As soon as this is done I need to head over to Sonia's last I heard she had been working on a Cure still... I don't.. really think it's possible." You said as Kabu held the door open, letting you and Raihan in first.

"She's still got hope, even if she's one assistant short. How's Leon?"

"Last time I was here it was full of infected, what'd you do?" You said, avoiding that topic. You had tensed up, taking a sharp inhale.

Kabu raised an eyebrow, confused on why you hadn't answered his question but wouldn't push.. for now.

"I lured all I could into my gym. Obviously, some are stuck in the other shops but the streets are as clean as they can be. Had to risk my pokemon for it." He patted his pokeballs, looking you in the eye.

"How bad are they?"

"Couple got infected, I've been holding them in the ball till Sonia can figure something out." You scrunched up your nose, humming. Taking off your bag and digging through it you pulled out your end of the trade, placing it on the counter.

"Just as you asked."

"Great. Here let me get mine, you won't believe how hard it was to get my hands on this."

"I'd believe it, no one makes them anymore." He brought out a couple of poke balls and a Dynamax band. "What's in the pokeballs?" You glanced down to where he held his pokeballs, "I can't take those they're-"

"Mine yes. You're heading to Sonia's and I was hoping she'd know how to help them."

"You- but that's almost your entire team." You blinked. He had handed you 4 of his 6 balls. He motioned over to the pokemon terminal, which stared at you patiently.

"They still work?" You picked up the balls, putting them into the bag, and slipping on the Dynamax bands. "That's cool, have you visited Nessa and Milo, or are you sticking down here?"

"I probably should visit them but I've been securing this place as much as I can."

"Maybe when I'm all tired of running everywhere I settle down here." You scoffed, making it obvious you were joking. "I do have to stop at some point. Maybe when it kills me."

"You sure do fight to survive a lot more than Id think, considering how you don't even think there's a possibility to find a cure."

"Maybe it's just too early to tell." You looked over to Raihan who had his back against the counter. You weren't sure if this was him trying to make you feel bad or not, but it sure as hell was working.  

You bit your cheek, frowning. He was acting childish in your opinion, you never needed a partner other than maybe your sanity. The conversation had died down, an eerie silence among you three. You groaned, running a hand across your face,

"Raihan can we talk? Outside?" He looked up at you, his eyes were gentle and it bothered you. You pushed away from the counter, heading towards the door. You heard him stand up, following after you. You held the door open, patiently waiting for him.

He still wasn't speaking, but he was following.  You closed the door behind him, sighing,

"Look, I think your acting childish with your whole silent treatment facade." You waved your hand in a circle, "and look, I'm sorry, I've never needed a partner and I don't plan on getting attached to anything." You let your hands drop, "I've already lost enough people. I'm not going to let myself get hurt again." You pressed your lips together, staring at Raihan for any other reaction other than the look of surprise he gave.

He placed a hand on his hip, smiling at you, "I didn't even think about that! I'm sorry for being so passive-aggressive."  You blinked a couple of times,

"That's it? That's all you have to say?"

"Well... yeah? What else am I supposed to say?"

You crossed your arms, staring at him.

"I don't know. I guess that works."