𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

18th of October 1991

THE COLLEGE STUDENT

Black walls, red seats, a stage, and fifty students make up my entire afternoon class. Mrs. Baker is one of the best theatre teachers I've ever had and gives me the motivation to dig deep when it comes to doing different acting roles.

Friday couldn't have come fast enough, I'm going to see Michael today... Right after this Theatre Production and Performance class. My theatre teacher is currently presenting the next play or musical we'll be doing and I'm nervous because I don't want it to be a drag that I have to be a part of.

The last show we did almost went to hell if it wasn't for the leading guy being extra talented. He was acting and dancing his ass off like his life depended on it since he basically carried the whole show. I was the choreographer of that show so I wouldn't have to be responsible for the bad acting and mediocre talent. I did the best I could with what I had.

"The musical we will be doing is Carmen Jones, but we're going to switch things up a bit," She begins and I already like what I'm hearing. Carmen Jones with Dorothy Dandridge is one of my favorite movies of all time next to a good blaxploitation film.

"Instead of it being an Opera, the show will be infused with Hip-Hop!" Mrs. Baker tells us, enthusiastically and everyone is excited. All of this cheering is making the room stink, obviously, some folks skipped the bathroom today. I attempt to take small breaths out of my mouth since my nose is on the verge of closing both holes that give me access to fresh air.

Maybe I should audition for Carmen, especially since it'll have some Hip-Hop in it. I've been known to be decent when it comes to spitting a few lines. I'm about to tear this audition up whenever it comes around.

"We'll need some people to do stage crew, help with the set, we'll have the apparel department design the costumes, and we need actors!"

Lord, I just hope the show's audition doesn't intervene with this big audition. I'm not going to get all big-headed and put all of my eggs in one basket as if I have that audition in the bag, but I have hope. Doing both auditions raises my chance of getting a lead somewhere and either way, it'll be great on my résumé, one definitely bigger than the other.

"Auditions for the show will be held right before Christmas Break. The audition sheet will be outside of the door so please feel free to sign up for any role you want either you're auditioning to be Carmen herself or you'd rather assist with the stage crew, but everyone has to sign up and participate. Alright, you all have a good rest of your day!"

Once the professor dismisses us, I head to the front door and look at the audition date before signing my name and the role I'm auditioning for, which is Carmen Jones. I pick up the sheet with all of the information I'll need for the day of the audition before heading to my car.