𝐓𝐄𝐍

13th of December 1991

THE COLLEGE STUDENT

2 Timothy 2:7
"Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."

It's finally Friday! I could get on my knees after this stressful week. This week has been full of tears, hair pulling, cramming, and most importantly, final exams. Today was the last day of exams, and now, there's nothing else for me to do but wait and pack. I won't do that until later because I'm in no rush.

Once final exams are over, we're told to vacate the residence hall before the break starts because when it does, the university is closed until next semester.

"Girl, you heard about what happened to Trina?" Michelle gossips and I sit up, knowing that this is going to be a good one. Trina and Reggie's little love story is one for the books if you want to talk about an unhealthy relationship. Reggie's always caught with some heifer and Trina finally broke it off with him just a few weeks ago. 

"No, what happened? Didn't she end it with Reggie?" She scoffs as if I said something that made absolutely no sense at all. What is it with my friends romanticizing toxicity? Nothing about constantly fighting and stressing over a man that isn't going to do right by you sounds fun to me. Then again, I haven't experienced anything like it, so how could I know?

"Please, she wasn't going no damn where." Now, it's my turn to scoff. You know what? He burned her wigs in a parking lot, so unless he gets physically violent, how much worse could it get?

Michelle begins telling me about how Trina went to some party by herself, and when she got back to her dorm, Reggie was in her room waiting on her. "He was like, 'So we actin' like we single now, Trina? That's how we're moving?' And Trina was shouting about how they were over," Michelle explains, mocking Reggie's deep voice, and I giggle at her storytelling.

"Then what?" I ask, tempted to grab some chips and stuff my face. I don't have anything going on and I'd be foolish to deny hearing a good story.

"From what I heard, he started digging through her drawers, and she was punching him in his back until he found her birth certificate." I hold my breath, anxious to find out what happens next, and she stops, taking a breath before continuing her story, "Trina was like, 'You're dead to me, Reggie! Dead!' And he raised her birth certificate in the air and ripped it to pieces, saying, 'Now look at you, dead too. Dumbass don't even exist no more.'" I guffaw at the story and her mocking Reggie's voice along with Trina's accent only makes it funnier.

She finishes off the story, notifying me that Reggie actually ended up getting arrested and charged with Theft and Criminal Damage. Apparently, people don't know that destroying someone's property without their consent is a crime.

Finally, Michelle and I are finished talking, and I roll over to lay down on my stomach. Trina is an acquaintance of mine and hearing her relationship story was actually pretty damn stressful. After hearing all of that, I just need a simple nap.