Chapter ten

I sobbed in my room crying full out using the bed sheets to muffle the sobs. For some reason I couldn't stop dreaming about my mother face down- no, no.

I couldn't let that distract me. I had to move on with my life. It's what she would have wanted. It's what I wanted.

Yet I couldn't.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was floating in a river filled with the strangest things. Teddy bears, diploma's, wedding photos just to name a few. I knew where I was. The River Styx.

In front of me the goddess of the river floated in front of me. "Eva..." her voice carried pain and regret, the weight of all the wishes and hopes thrown away upon her.

"Eva the promise you made, it is not a right one to make for someone so young. I am willing-"

I cut her off. "Listen up," I snarled suddenly angry. "I. DONT. NEED. YOUR. HELP."  Her face went cold.

"Alright."

****

Evas pov:leaving for the quest

The four of us had decided to leave early, trying to get a head start on everything that we had to do.

I was watching Mark, who had left the Camp sad. This secret again. It kept bothering me. I knew he knew something. I just didn't know what. I should be thinking about other things though.

Since both Poseidon and Zeus were out for my blood we decided to travel by land. I told the others where the entrance to the underworld was, somewhere in LA. I didn't know exactly where but I didn't want to ruin anyone's high spirits, especially Percy who I thought was acting much happier than the situation warranted. He skipped along happily, Annabeth behind him, watching him with a look I couldn't quite place.

I walked up to her nudging her elbow. "Whatcha thinking about" I asked.
She noticed me looking at Percy and then at her all while I was smirking.
She gasped. "No way!! He's a son of Poseidon!!! Like, my mortal enemy!"
"Righttttt" I rolled my eyes. "Your mother was Athena and all that"
She nodded vigorously.
I sighed dramatically. "Then your true love will leave you!!!!!!!!!"
She rolled her eyes.
"You could be champion of eye rolling if it was a contest" I chirped dodging out of the way of her hand. She laughed, a real laugh, one that radiates joy. I grinned happily. Maybe things were going to work out after all.

Famous last words

****

Marks pov: the attack

Something roared behind me, something big stinky and loud. I spun on my heel pulling out my bow and nocking an arrow.

A Drakon.

A giant scaly drakon loomed above us, covered in green toxic slime. It was the biggest monster I had ever faced. It's teeth were easily a meter in length each of them sharpened to a deadly point, a deadly point that would have no trouble killing me I thought ominously. It's eyes were a glittering green to match its scaly body. Gross. And scary. But gross all the same.

I acted quickly, shooting arrow after arrow on to it aiming for the eyes and the mouth

I acted quickly, shooting arrow after arrow on to it aiming for the eyes and the mouth. It screeched but seemed more annoyed by the arrows than actually hurt.

Percy uncapped his sword and Annabeth pulled out her dagger trying to stab it all the while yelling.

Eva backed away quickly, once she had got to a safe distance slammed her hands onto the ground. The earth began to tremble beneath the drakon a hole opened below it, a hole that went so deep it led a place that you should pray you never land in. Screams of eternal pain echoed from below screams that I knew I would never forget in my life.

The drakon roared slipping through the hole tail first.

Eva was trembling with the strain of making a hole so large, sweat was pouring from her brow her arms shivering her face pale and cold even though it was above 80 degrees. I went over to her kneeling next to her placing a hand on her shoulder wishing I could do more to help.

The drakon was still roaring furiously slipping further down the hole. I noticed then that ghosts were surrounding it tugging it down, pulling, using scales, peeling them off trying to yank it into the depths.

Eva was panting now, grunting with exertion.

I hoped against hope that the drakon would fall and that nothing would happen to her, but each passing second she grew weaker as the hole closed and the drakon didn't seem to need to stop thrashing and it wasn't growing weaker as far as I could see.

A minute later, a minute that seemed to last a thousand years the drakon slipped inside the hole with a final snarl.

She slumped sideways barley breathing unconscious.

"We should get her on that bus." Said Annabeth shakily.
"Yeah" I agreed, picking her up bridal style.

"Let's get on that bus."

****

Evas pov: waking up on the bus

When I woke up we were on a bus, one of those ugly yellow/orange buses that nobody likes. I sat up, grinning at Percy who was sitting next to me. "Thanks Perce." He smiled at me though it seemed forced and tense.

"Percy...?"

He inhaled sharply.

"Eva, don't panick, but..."

When I hear those words I know it's never good.

"The Furies are here."