Chapter twenty

"HELP"

I sprinted around the room, my blade flashing bronze shifting my position to fight the beast.

"FASTER" she yelled. "ITS COMING CLOSER"

I tried I really did- but it got to her first. It swallowed her whole and the last thing i saw was her face, blank from shock.

Dead. Dead.

She turned into my mother.

Dead. dead.

I woke up panting.

****

Marks POV: Eva collapses the ride

"OH-

I screamed loudly along with Percy (Annabeth somehow kept her cool) as the whole thing collapsed inwards somehow, into a massive hole.

Annabeth cursed loudly in Ancient Greek walking briskly toward the edge of the hole. My heart was pounding furiously and I had a sudden vision of falling forever into it.

A hand came up over the edge.

"AAAA!!" I screamed in earnest now rushing back as fast as I could, (clearly I've watched too many horror movies) and I saw Percy trip over his feet in his rush to go backwards. Thankfully, I soon saw that it was just Eva pulling herself over the edge, and I rushed forward to pull her up; but Annabeth beat me to it grabbing her hand amd yanking her up.

"Ugh" she groaned loudly "Thanks Annabeth."

"No problem." She answered, "and I hate to cut this short but-"

"Don't worry, I've got the damn shield" she showed the bronze shield that was strapped across her arm. She was panting heavily, and sweat was running down her forehead and I thought (for the millionth time) in how she was in much better shape than me, I'd be long dead if I tried to do that.

Annabeth tilted her head deep in thought. "Couldn't you just make a hole and we could just jump in? Save us the bother?"

Eva frowned and shook her head.

"A, F- Hades would not like it if we just hopped in and b," she bit her lip. "It's too dangerous, I can't control where I'm sending these things, it's as likely that we fall into the fields of asphodel as it is we fall into Tartarus. But it was a good idea"

She tried to console Percy who had perked up visibly when Annabeth voiced her idea, and was now drooping toward the ground.

We all sighed for a moment in annoyance.

"Well," I said finally "guess we bring this to Ares."

Evas lip curled in a sneer.

"Guess we are"

And as we walked away, even though the cameras were gone, I got the feeling that all the gods were watching us behind our backs.

****

Percys pov: back at the diner

"Here."

Eva shoved the shield in Ares' face sneering as she did so.

He caught it deftly, smirking at the four of us.

"So, your still alive then."

"No thanks to you." I snapped and Eva sent a surprised look my way. Annabeth and Mark both looked terrified and were probably considering either a) running far far away or b) kicking me in the shins. In Annabeths case, probably both.

His lip curled, and the burning sockets behind his shades brightened, but otherwise he made no comment. Instead, he pointed to a truck that was parked right outside the diner. The side of it had large black letters spelling- actually I don't know what they said but my best guess is KINDNESS INFORMATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORTT. WARNING: LIFE WILD ANIMALS- and he snapped his fingers unlocking the door with a loud CLACK.

"There's your ride." He turned away and made to get back on to his motorbike; but Eva grabbed his arm.

"My aunt?" Her eyes were flashing dangerously now.

Ares raised his eyebrows. "Be careful. Remember the prophecy." He reved up his bike.

"WHAT THE HADES DOES THAT MEAN" she yelled in fury- but Ares was gone. In his place was a small blue backpack that Eva grabbed angrily.

I cleared my throat attracting Evas attention. She glared at me and I shrank back, but soon she stopped and sighed.

"We should probably get onto the ride" I said pointing toward the truck.

Mark frowned. "Do we have-"

"Yes." Snapped Annabeth. Apparently Eva wasn't the only one angry.

Wisely deciding to agree to her decision; we followed her to the back, climbing in quickly.

Inside there were three cages; one that had a lion, one that had an antelope and one that had a zebra in it. All the animals were starving and they were so skinny you could see their ribs through their skin. They had one small bowl of dirty water, the lion had a bag of turnips to eat and the zebra and antelope each had a burger.

We quickly swapped their food out, giving the lion the burgers and splitting the turnips between the zebra and antelope

We quickly swapped their food out, giving the lion the burgers and splitting the turnips between the zebra and antelope. As I was feeding the zebra, it's voice sounded in my head;

"Thank you lord"

"Welcome" I mumbled distractedly before doing a hug double take. The zebra just talked to me?!

Whatttt

My eyes were wide with shock.

"You ok Perce?" Asked Mark.

"The- the zebra just talked to me!"

Annabeth sighed loudly showing just how smart she was and just how dumb we were.

"Your father" she explained patiently, in a voice someone would use to tell a confused toddler that two plus two is four, "made horses. Zebras are really close to horses and therefore you can understand them."

"Ohhh" I nodded. That made sense. I could understand the pegasi back at camp well enough so I assumed it was the same thing. I always thought that everyone could talk to Pegasi because they were magical.

A loud snore from Mark made me jump. I looked over to see him and Eva fast asleep (though only Mark was snoring) and I decided to try to get comfortable as well.

"You should sleep." I told Annabeth.

"Great idea Seaweed brain." I was too tired to figure out if this was sarcastic or not; but it didn't matter because soon I was fast asleep.

Hi everyone, so incase you didn't see my note before this I will now be updating every Tuesday thanks bye.