Halloween

Malfoy, according to Ron, is absolutely astonished to see Harry and Ron sitting at breakfast the next morning. After laughing about it for a moment, Harry begins to explain his suspicions about the package Hagrid took out of Gringotts. Ron agrees with him that the dog must be guarding whatever was in the package and this lifts Harry's already good mood.

Neither Neville nor Hermione seem to care for what lies beneath the dog and the trapdoor, though. Neville just seems more focused on never going near the dog again. Hermione, though, has stopped speaking to Harry and Ron. She still takes notes for Harry but she's stopped linking her arm with his when she catches up to them in the corridor and she's stopped reading the notes to Harry later in the common room, instead making Parvati Patil read them and make sure Harry understands the material. Parvati is nice but Harry, shockingly, finds himself missing Hermione's voice reading to him. He decides not to mention this to Ron, who is all too happy to have Hermione away from them. He's never been her biggest fan.

About a week after the three-headed dog incident, Ron grasps Harry's arm when the mail starts to fly in.

"What?" Harry asks.

"You've got a package," Ron says just as there's a small thump on the table. Harry's bacon falls onto the floor and he frowns. "There's a letter. I'll read it," Ron takes the letter and opens it. He clears his throat and begins speaking in a quiet voice with a Scottish accent that makes Harry laugh, "Do not open this parcel at the table. It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session. Professor McGonagall."

Harry grins.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron whispers, back to his normal accent. "I've never even touched one."

They leave the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick before classes but halfway through the entrance hall, Ron stops and groans quietly. The broomstick is suddenly taken from Harry and he startles slightly.

"That's a broomstick," Malfoy says. He throws the broomstick back at Harry and Harry catches it easily, a smirk working its way onto his face as Malfoy continues, "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

"It's not any old broomstick," Ron says smugly, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty? Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy retorts. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron can respond, though, another voice interrupts them.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?"

Professor Flitwick. Harry fights a grin.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," Malfoy says quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," Professor Flitwick says. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," Harry says. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he adds, making Ron laugh quietly.

"Well, it's true," Harry says after they continue walking. "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" an angry voice form behind them says.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" Harry says, his voice only slightly bitter. He really does miss Hermione's presence and he honestly hates that he does.