Christmas

Christmas, after Harry's first Quidditch game, comes around very quickly. One morning, they all wake up to several feet of snow and Harry spends the day getting pelted with snowballs by bitter Slytherins and Peeves. He doesn't ever throw one back in fear of Snape seeing and taking more points away from Gryffindor. Harry, who has managed to get fifty-three points taken from Gryffindor, all of which were taken away by Snape, doesn't really want that. Ron does tell him, though, that the twins got in trouble for bewitching snowballs to hit the back of Quirrell's turban and it cheers up Harry.

Apparently, nobody in the dungeons knows what a fire is. Compared to the warmth of Gryffindor tower and the Great Hall, stepping into the dungeons is like stepping outside with how cold it is down there. Snape's classroom is the worst and according to Dean, they can see their breath while in it.

"I do feel so sorry," Malfoy says during one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

Harry rolls his eyes and ignores him. Malfoy, one of the many bitter Slytherins, has taken to making fun of Harry for not having a proper family because his previous attempts at making fun of the way Harry caught the Snitch in his mouth weren't making anybody laugh. Harry doesn't feel sorry, though, for himself or any other student who is staying due to similar reasons he is. Christmas at Hogwarts sounds infinitely better than spending it with relatives who hate you. Harry had told this to a crying Hufflepuff and when the Hufflepuff (Megan Jones) heard that even Harry Potter's relatives don't like him, she cheered up quickly.

The previous week, Professor McGonagall had come around with a sign-up sheet for kids who wanted to stay for the holidays and Harry had signed up at once. Even better, Ron and his brothers are staying because Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are going to Romania to visit Charlie.

When they leave Potions, Ron has to throw his arm out across Harry's chest so he doesn't bump into the large tree Hagrid is carrying. Harry's hands fly up and grab the arm, sending a glare with no heat at Ron.

"Hi, Hagrid," Ron says after he's sure Harry has stopped walking and after he's muttered an apology for scaring him, "want some help?"

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Malfoy says from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Harry flinches when Ron makes a very sudden movement and his arm is pulled from Harry's grip.

"WEASLEY!"

Harry flinches again.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid says. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

Ah, so Ron just grabbed Malfoy. Harry thinks Malfoy definitely deserves a punch and he wishes Snape hadn't shown up and interrupted what Ron was sure to give.

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," Snape says. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Harry shakes his head as they start walking, "But of course he doesn't take points from Slytherin. I'm telling you, we should report him to Dumbledore."

Hermione sighs, linking her arm with his, "The Slytherins would vouch for him, we'd never get what we want."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," Hagrid says. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

"Oh, I can't wait," Harry says dryly, earning a laugh from Hermione and Ron.

They follow Hagrid all the way to the Great Hall. Hermione starts telling him excitedly about all the different decorations and though she's not as good as Dean at describing things, Harry still gets a vague picture.