13: Puppet

CW: Graphic Violence/ Death

Luke

"Please don't make me do this to her." I said, tears running down my cheeks as the old man held a small button in his hands.

"If you don't prove your loyalty to me, I will have to extinguish you and find somebody else."

"You already made me kill somebody!" I cried, my heart was racing as I held Ophelia in my arms. Her body was limp from the drugs I'd put in her system.

I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to hurt my cousin. She was the only thing I had that was close to a sibling.

"That other girl was a test. You need to prove yourself to me by showing me that you can do this." The old man said as tears streamed down my cheeks. I stared at my cousin. Ophelia had always dreamed of helping people, her sole purpose in life was to do something medical and help others.

I knew I would have a lifetime of guilt if I did anything to her. But I wasn't willing to run the risk that this old man was bluffing. If that button was any indication, that old man could cause my body to combust from the inside out.

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place and it seemed like the only way out was to obey this crazy man.

"Look kid, I don't have all day. And just as easily as I found you, I can end you and replace you. Don't take it personally, it's just business and I need you to prove yourself."

"I... already.... d...did." I bit back tears as they streamed down my cheeks.

"Clearly not." He crossed his arms and I just wanted to throw him off the bridge.

"She's never done anything to hurt anybody! Ophelia is the kindest person I know."

"Look, save me the sob story. Just do it." I stared at him some more, eyes widening at how immoral and dull he looked. He genuinely didn't even care.

"I can't." I wiped my eyes as I saw her slowly shift in my arms.

"Boohoo. I guess I can toss the both of you then. I'll find somebody else. Say goodbye to that precious life of yours." He said as my eyes widened and I saw his thumb about to press the button.

"No...no wait. Can we compromise?" I panicked, wondering if I can get Ophelia to have a chance to wake up enough to run away. If she ran, he would surely kill me. There was no doubt.

It seemed like he had a target on her back and regardless of where she went, he would end her life. I felt so uncomfortable standing there. The moonlight shined above the water below us.

I could so easily just throw her down and hope she survived, but knowing this psychotic asshole, he'd make me ensure she was dead before letting her drop.

My mind wandered back to Caroline. She was the quiet new girl and she had minded her own business. I had taken it upon myself to befriend her, even though she didn't really want my friendship. And once I gained her trust, the psycho-man had already tracked me down and decided that I was the one to do his bidding.

I still remember her screams outside the school a couple days ago.

I wasn't a cold blooded murderer. I never chose this path, I just wanted to finish high-school and now, here I was going on a killing spree for this crazy man who kept warning me about a mind-reading detective.

"Last chance kid," he tossed me a knife, "do it now before she wakes up. I don't want to hear her screams. That last girl was annoying." He lulled, yawning as I stared at him. A car drove past us as my eyes widened. It was too dark for them to see us at the edge of this bridge anyway.