48

I had no idea exactly how we had ended up here. This wasn't my first press conference or anything, but this was by far the biggest thing and the first time when everyone was explicitly not on our side.

It really made me understand Shouta's hatred for the press. They were like vultures - just out to get you, trip you up with any wrong word, anything you said and they didn't like. The pressure was terrible and the whole atmosphere was tense as hell. I couldn't stand it. And that wasn't the only problem.

The whole room was hot enough with all the people crowding it and me being stuck in this horrible business attire - tight black skirt, knee-length, tights, long-sleeve blouse and a black blazer. But the thing was that everyone was pretty much dressed all formal, too and... Goddamn, Shouta really did clean up nicely.

You wouldn't really expect it with the whole mess of hair on his head and the three-day-beard, but seeing him with his hair combed back and clean shaven and in a suit that fit nice and tightly... It did something to me. Especially with the way he looked so stern and serious, it just wasn't fair that we had to sit here, next to each other, in front of a bunch of reporters.

"I regret to announce that our unpreparedness was responsible for the harm that came to 27 of our first-year students. Though U.A. is an institution mainly for future members of law enforcement and emergency services, we were nonetheless negligent in our defenses against terrorist groups, and we understand that this has made many of you uneasy." Nezu said, as I could feel the sweat against my back. It was ridiculous to make us dress up like that in the middle of summer.

It was ridiculous that we were here in the first place and not out, trying to find Bakugou! We hadn't heard a thing from him yet and the police were going to raid the suspected hideout of the League of Villains tonight. Why the hell were they pulling us out for a dumb press conference? If they really thought that we were just slacking off and not doing shit, then why were we not there helping out?

"We apologize for this deeply and sincerely. There is absolutely no excuse for what's occurred." Nezu finished up and bowed again. We all sat down. I really wanted to reach for the glass of water in front of me, as my throat was parched, but I felt like I should wait for a few questions first.

"Question from NHA. This makes the fourth time this year that U.A. students have been confronted by villains. Given that some were actually injured this time, what explanations have you given to their understandably concerned families? Furthermore, please tell us in concrete terms what measures you have taken to prevent these sorts of incidents from happening in the future." one of the reporters said, after jumping up. Nezu reached for the microphone on the table.

I knew in theory why I was here. I was one of the teachers that was at the training camp with Shouta and Vlad and the two classes. I was there, what had happened was my responsibility, too and I had to apologize to the public for it and give them the answers they (understandably) wanted.

But to be honest? I had been in the classroom the entire time. I was outside later on, helping the students with some minor injuries. That was all I did. I was there for practical reasons, not because anyone really needed me there. And I honestly had no idea what to answer to any of those questions.

"We've increased surveillance of the surrounding areas and revamped our school's security system. And we've explained to the families that our strong stance against crime will guarantee the students' safety." Nezu answered the question and sat back again. Someone else got up.

"Mr. Eraserhead..." he started. I could see Shouta tense up and reach for the microphone slowly.

"You claim it's for the students' safety, but in the middle of it all, you urged the students themselves to fight. What were your intentions, at that point?" he asked. I glanced over to Shouta who seemed to be tired of hearing this question. It was usually one that was leading up to some pointed question, trying to get him to attack the media somehow. They knew exactly what they were doing. Everyone knew that Shouta hated the press and they were using it against him.

"Since we had no way of grasping the full nature of the situation, I made that decision in an attempt to avoid the worst-case scenario." he answered, clearly trying to stay calm. He took a sip from the glass of water in front of him. But that one reporter just wouldn't let up. He kept asking.

"Worst-case scenario? How else would you describe a situation where 26 were wounded and one was kidnapped?"

"At that moment, the worst case I could imagine involved the deaths of my students." Shouta replied curtly. I could barely imagine how he must be feeling with everything that had been happening since that night in the forest. I mean, I was there for some of it. The injured students piling up in the classroom and others waiting outside, ambulances and police taking them away, the questioning afterwards, everything. But most of the decisions that night were made by Shouta and he was the one that was responsible for everything. In the eyes of the public, that was.

"It became clear that the gas responsible for most of the harm was some sort of quirk of one of the League's members, with a soporific effect. Kendo's and Tetsutetsu's quick thinking was responsible for minimizing the damage. The students have all received psychological evaluations, and none seem to have suffered emotional trauma." Principal Nezu jumped in, as Shouta sat back.

I wasn't really thinking when I quickly grabbed his hand under the table and quickly squeezed it. I honestly had no idea why I did it just then and there, it just felt like the right thing to do. It wasn't like it was really obvious that Shouta was upset, but after living with him for a few months I just got a feeling for whatever his mood was. And right now, he was very upset.

"Is that meant to be a silver lining?" the same reporter persisted. Shouta and I exchanged a glance and I let go of his hand, as he was focussing on what was happening right in front of us again.

"We believe that the worst has been avoided as long as the students still have their futures." Nezu replied diplomatically.

"Can you say the same about young Bakugou, who was abducted?" he pressed on. The room was silent.

"He won your Sports Festival. He struggled valiantly against a powerful villain during the Sludge incident. His impressive record implies the making of a tough hero, yet... he showed a rather violent side of himself after his festival victory. An attitude that persisted up through the awards ceremony. We've already caught glimpses, here and there, of his mental instability. What if it was those very qualities that made him a target. What if a skilled manipulator gets to him and sends him down a path of evil? Can you provide proof that, as you say, that boy still has a future?" he elaborated. Oh shit. This was bad. Everyone knew that Shouta hated the press for exactly this stuff.

This guy was trying to provoke him and he seemed to be succeeding. Shouta jumped up, his hands balled up into fists at his side. I caught my breath, as I looked up at him nervously. If he lost it now, that was it. It would be game over for him as a teacher and a hero. But then he just took a deep breath and bowed down low.

"Any lapse in his behaviour is my failing. Still... He behaved that way at the Sports Festival, because he has such strong convictions and ideals... More than anyone he pursues the title of top hero with everything he's got. If the villains have mistaken that for a weakness, then their thought process is indeed superficial." he explained. I could hear that he was angry and that he hated this reporter with every fibre of his being, but without knowing him well, he was just his usual stern self.

"That doesn't sound like proof of anything. The boy's emotions aside, do you have a concrete counter-strategy?" the reporter still insisted, as Shouta was just sitting back down again.

"We're hardly approaching this passively. Currently, I am personally cooperating with the police in their ongoing investigation. Make no mistake, we will retrieve the student who was taken from us." Nezu answered up, seeing as Shouta definitely needed a break. Hopefully, this all would be over soon.