50

We were sitting on the rooftop again. We had gone back home shortly after we heard that Bakugou was safe and that Allmight was being taken care of. Shouta and I were both exhausted and direly needed some sleep, but after trying to sleep for ages, we realized that there was just no point. We wouldn't be able to get any sleep. Too much had happened for that.

So we had decided to sit out on the roof, with a blanket wrapped around us and looking at the stars. It wouldn't be dark for much longer, as it was already past 3 in the morning. The sun would start to rise soon and then we'd have to get ready for a meeting with Principal Nezu.

"You think we're getting fired?" I asked, probably for the millionth time tonight. My nerves felt raw.

"Would be surprised if we'd get to keep our jobs. We really fucked up." Shouta replied, same answer as all the times before. I sighed. Another job I'd lose. Great. I hadn't even lasted a year. And after all this public outrage... who would ever hire me again? There was no way I'd be able to survive in the city without a high paying job. It simply wouldn't work, unless I started full time hero work again.

"What are we going to do without jobs, Shou?" I asked, my voice sounding shaky, as I was close to tears again. I had really liked this job and losing it would break my heart, I just knew it. I couldn't believe that after tomorrow I wouldn't be able to see my kids again and teach them.

I couldn't believe that I'd never see Todoroki again and wouldn't get a chance to find out what was going on at his home. Or that I'd never be able to talk to Shinsou again. If Shouta was fired, would he even get a chance to join the hero course? My heart was breaking thinking about him not making it. And what about Kaminari who always asked the most simplistic questions, but who had kind of a talent for thinking outside the box? Would a new teacher have the same patience with him? Who would put up with Monoma's antics? Bakugou?

"We'll find new jobs. Simple as that." he answered and glanced at me, worry in his eyes, as he saw me doing my best to hold back tears. This was pretty embarrassing, which didn't help my overly emotional state.

"But until then? How will we pay rent? I... I don't have another job. I won't be able to live anywhere, and I'm sure you don't want me there as an extra burden, either, especially since I've been here for so long already and..."

"Akane."

"... and I also can't just leave Chou with you, because that wouldn't be fair, but I just don't want to give her away... I couldn't bring myself to do it and then there's Shinsou... Shou, what about Shin-"

"Akane! Snap out of it!" he said, holding me by my shoulders and shaking me a little. There were tears streaming down my face and my lips were quivering. I couldn't help but worry, and it was exhausting. But all the worrying was also what kept me from sleeping. It was a vicious cycle.

"Akane, it's alright. It's gonna be alright. You can stay here as long as you want. I don't mind having you here, in fact, I... damn it, I like having you around. I like your company and... I mean, I guess it makes sense to have a roommate to pay the rent, right? Especially if we both can't get back into jobs with a good pay right away. The thing is, we won't have to change anything. It might be a little rough for a while, but we'll be fine. Just... please don't cry, okay? I hate seeing you cry." he told me, brushing a loose strand of hair out of my face and tucking it behind my ear.

I was still shaking with sobs, but I didn't even realize. I was so surprised at what he had just told me. Did... did cold, rational Shouta Aizawa actually care about me? Like for real? He didn't just say that out of obligation or because he was trying to get along with me? Did he actually enjoy my company?

"I... what?" I asked him, still kind of shook by his... I didn't even know what to call it. Kindness?

"God, you're so dumb, sometimes. You really don't get it, huh? Here, let me wipe those away for you." he replied, tugging on the sleeve of his sweater and wiping the tears off my face gently.

"I don't get... what?" I wanted to know. Shouta looked at me. He seemed to be completely dumbfounded by my stupidity. In hindsight, it was pretty clear what he was trying to tell me, but at that moment my mind was too clouded with worry and too sleep-deprived to make sense of it all.

"You... you... I can't believe I'm doing this..." Shouta mumbled and then turned towards me, putting his hand in my neck and running his thumb over my cheek, before pulling me closer and pressing his lips against mine.

There were a million things going through my mind at that moment - that garlicky snack that I had eaten earlier and was I hallucinating and what if my breath stank terribly and what if I was a terrible kisser and no one had ever told me and did this mean we were dating now and what did all of this mean anyway and hopefully we wouldn't lose balance and fall off the roof and...

"Akane? I-I'm sorry, I thought you... I thought you felt the same way... I..." he muttered and turned away. It almost looked like he was blushing. It took a while until I had processed what had just happened.

Shouta Aizawa had just kissed me. He had basically just confessed to me. Why would he think I didn't feel the same way...? Oh. OH. I had never actually kissed him back or even reacted. I was cursing my sleep-deprived brain for being such a dumb bitch sometimes. Seriously.

"Oh my God, Shou, that's... that's not it at all. I'm just being a dumb bitch, that's all. And sleep-deprived." I replied quickly. He turned around, giving me a questioning look, and I used my opportunity to pull him closer and finally kiss him back. A little late, yes, but at least it happened.

We moved our lips against each other and I could feel myself in a sort of daze, with all the exhaustion and this entire emotional rollercoaster clouding my perception. All I could feel was Shouta's hands on my shoulders, holding me in place and his lips on mine, moving against them gently.

I had no idea how much time had passed until he broke off the kiss. I slowly opened my eyes again and saw him smiling at him. Not his usual smirk, but an actual, genuine smile that made my heart feel things I never thought possible. There were only very few times I had seen him smile like this.

"So, uh, does this mean we're like... dating now?" I asked. Which was a really dumb fucking question, but I just needed to know, for some reason. Because I knew some people were onto me having a thing for Shouta and this recent development would just make it more complicated to evade the question.

"Sure, I mean, if that's what you want. I... All I want is just for you to stay with me, alright?" Shouta said. I smiled.

"Alright then. I guess that means I'm officially moving in, huh?"

"I suppose so, just..." Shouta started while moving his fingers over my hands, drawing little circles on them.

"What is it?"

"Can we keep this whole thing on the down low? I'd just prefer people not knowing about this, if they don't have to."

"Sure, no problem. Who are you afraid of? Nemuri making inappropriate jokes on your expense?"

"No. Well, maybe. I was thinking more of Hizashi getting on my nerves and also..." he paused.

"Also what?"

"With all the villain attacks... clearly they're after Allmight, but they have also been targeting my class specifically. I just... if this whole thing becomes public knowledge... I don't want to put you in any more danger than you're already in. It might not be an issue if we get fired, but you never know. It could be a problem and-"

I shook my head and put my index finger on his lips, smirking at him. I never thought I'd see Shouta this talkative, but right now he needed to stop.

"I know. That's what I signed up for when I became a hero, remember?"