21. Paris est plus belle sous la pluie

✻ When they eat eclairs and walk along the Seine

Elizabeth Black always loved her home.

From the cobblestone streets, to the small fountains, to the myriads of flowers — both magical and not — that decorated the balconies, to the people who greeted her everyday with a smile, Lizl always felt happy and safe within 'The Lair'.

And now, as she sat on her rooftop, overlooking her home, she was angry. She was going to disappoint all of them soon.

"Did you ask around?" She inquired as the Hufflepuff boy climbed over the fire escape and sat down next to his friend.

"Yep." Came Jonathan's short reply.

"How bad is it?"

"About as bad as you suspected." The boy sighed. "People moved here because there aren't many rules. Telling them that from now on there is no apparating in and out, and that people have to register when leaving or entering isn't exactly what they signed up for."

Lizl's head dropped.

"I don't know what else to do. With Dumbledore dead, and Snape on the Death Eater side, the Ministry will soon fall."

"You think Scrimgeour will side with them?"

"No." She shook her head. "Never. But I do think his employees will. If our Minister wasn't fearing for his life before, he should now."

"He's putting up a good fight though." Jonathan argued.

"Not good enough. Voldemort benefited from years of nepotism within the Ministry. Fudge did a real shit job the last couple of years. Most of the high ranking Ministry employees either bought their way in or got hired by family. Family that is now plotting back in Malfoy Manor."

Jonathan examined his best friend's face, noticing the dark circles under her bloodshot eyes. He knew she barely slept anymore, the weight of the world on her shoulders.

"There is no other way, Liz. We have to keep our people safe."

"I can't help but feel I'm betraying them." The girl revealed. "I'm doing the opposite of what Maggie promised them. This isn't freedom."

Jonathan shook his head grimly.

"No, this is war. The first thing Maggie promised them wasn't freedom, it was protection. People are getting killed behind our walls; our people — the misfits. You're not betraying 'The Lair', you're fulfilling Maggie's promise. Our people will see that."

"Even if I ruin their businesses?" Lizl argued.

It was true. Their home depended quite heavily on outsiders.

"Yeah, that's going to be a bitch to figure out." Jonathan nodded.

"If we monitor who gets in and out, visitor numbers will drop. We can't sustain that for more than a couple of months."

"Then we'll figure out a way to help each other out." The boy stated, his voice determined. "That's how we've always done things here. And then when Voldemort's dead and the war is over, we'll pick right back up."

Lizl was touched by his optimism. He had always been a guiding light in her life.

"Thank you. You're the best little brother." She smiled.

"I love you Liz." Jonathan smiled back, reaching to squeeze the girl.

"Love you too bub."

●♛●