23. Heavy Is The Head

✻ When she gets replaced 

Harry sipped his tea in silence, the conversation with Lupin replaying in his head again and again. He hadn't meant to lash out like he did, but he didn't regret it. Parents should stay with their children and fight for them — not run away on a wild goose chase with teenagers.

The young man looked around the old kitchen at Grimmauld Place, and wondered how Lizl would always describe the place with such kind words. From the fleeting comments she had made about her family's house, she seemed to quite enjoy the old architecture, along with the dark theme of the furniture. She always spoke about the old rundown haunted mansion with such optimism and promise. Maybe he should sign it over to her...

A loud thud from the front door interrupted his thoughts however. Immediately, Harry dropped his cup and took his wand out, heading for the entrance. Behind him, he could hear Ron and Hermione's footsteps following him down the corridor.

Perhaps it was Lupin; or worse, a Death Eater.

Behind the enchanted mirage of Dumbledore, the door opened, revealing a dark figure Harry couldn't recognise. He was ready to attack, wand shot out in front of him, when he heard the familiar voice.

"Don't shoot, it's Lizl!" The figure coughed, sending away the mirage with a soft 'I didn't kill you'.

"Lizl?" Ron questioned from beside Hermione.

"Prove yourself." Harry ordered, his wand still pointing at her.

Lizl huffed and shot the trio an annoyed look. Without tearing her eyes away from Harry's, she shot her left hand against the corridor, letting the now familiar snake transfer to the walls of the house, slithering around the portraits towards Ron and Hermione.

"Well, no one else can do that." Harry muttered, finally lowering his wand and tucking it inside his back pocket.

"Or is crazy enough to try." Ron added.

Lizl smirked and examined the three wizards.

"How are we doing little Gryffindors? Why don't we chat over a cup of tea?"

Without another word, the girl moved pass the trio, and headed towards the kitchen. It didn't take long for her make an extra pot of tea, summoning some mugs so they could all enjoy the hot beverage while they talked.

"So, how did you find us?" Ron asked, sipping his tea ask all four wizards sat around the kitchen table.

"Lupin. Well, it was Tonks who told me you were here, actually. I took her to a doctor's appointment." Lizl explained happily, looking over at Harry. "You know she's pregnant, right? We're having a baby cousin."

Harry let a small smile form on his lips before his mood turned sour, remembering the last conversation he had with his ex-professor.

"Yeah, Lupin told us." He nodded, not knowing what else to say.

Thankfully, Hermione took over.

"You took her to St. Mungo's?" The witch wondered.

Lizl shook her head.

"Salazar, no. I took her to a muggle clinic near 'The Lair'. The doctor's a squib, and she frequently takes on patients who are witches. I didn't want to risk taking a 'retired' Auror who's carrying a werewolf's baby over at a wizarding hospital, could I?"

"Smart move." Complimented Hermione. "Is everything alright with the baby?"

"Yep. Little peanut is right were it should be."