#18

maybe if everyday is always around 1-5 in the morning, i would've updated sooner and faster, don't you think?

+++++

Theo blinked, adjusting his tired eyes at the dim brightness of the twinkling black sky as he held his ringing phone by his ear, feeling a cool sensation passing his damp hair.

He laughed sardonically in his head when his eyes hurt just as quickly as he'd finally focused them on the night sky. 

'So much for not staying up too late.' He thinks, absent-mindedly fumbling the ends of the towel around his neck, head still looking up. 'It always happen on the good days.'

It took another try on calling, some of his hair falling down while he waits; and just as he was about to give up on it ('It is two in the morning'), the caller finally picked up the phone.

"Hey, I'm on the roof."

There was silence from the other side, except for the shuffling of blankets before he spoke.

"Theo," Liam's voice was rough with sleep though it did not hide how alert he is at the sudden phone call. "D'you need something?"

"Good morning, sleepyhead." He rasped a chuckle, swinging both of his dangling legs on the roof to keep himself from laying down. "What makes you think I called because I need something from you?"

'Why did I even want to call you in the first place?' He thinks, yet his hazy mind came up with nothing close to coherent to answer his question. 'It was mostly reflexes but it's not like I'm complaining.'

Although they've been near each other in months, the chimera is still not used to calling Liam out of a whim or at any time really, aside from the usual time they hang out, even after the countless privileges the other boy kept giving him and telling him not to worry about it. It's strange; having to do it the first couple of times. Theo silently thanked the Gods he doesn't believe in that Liam is patient enough to tolerate his repeated apologies until he finally got the hang of doing so, with or without notice. 

"Well, does it involve my corporate body to appear over there?"

He snorted. "You're not a phantom."

Liam's smile was evident through the phone. "What if I am? What're you gonna do about it?" Then he paused. "Wait, do phantoms really exist? Aren't they like, the same as ghosts?"

"Oh my god." Theo laughed. "I don't know, do they? If they're real, just remember that you just compared them to ghosts."

"That was offensive?"

The chimera only hummed and half-heartedly shrugged.

They were silent for a short while, taking in the gentle cool breeze, the sounds of crickets and the werewolf's change of position on his other end of the call.

"Wanna talk about it?" Liam asked softly.

The older shook his head. "What's there to talk about? I can't even remember why I woke up now."

'Liar.' A voice hissed. 'It's impossible to forget that.'

He could feel the hesitation from the other end of the call and half of Theo's mind begged for the younger to make him talk, make him spill, make him face it on yet he trembled on the thoughts of doing that at the moment.

'Coward.' The voice hissed again.

He inhaled deeply at the hitch of his breath as he blinks rapidly but quickly covered up with a sharp exhale.

"But I'm tired and I can't seem to go back to sleep."

"That's rough." Liam mumbled, his voice bouncing up to a high octave despite the croakiness in it, just to lighten the mood a bit. "Do you think we have any sirens here?"

"Like, sea-folk?"

"Mhm, them. Do you think we have any?"

"Didn't Mason give you a copy of the Beastiary?"

"Yeah but it doesn't say where there are some."

Theo sighed, exasperated but gentle. "Why are you suddenly asking this?"

"It was another passing thought. Come onnnn, tell me." Even his whine is croaky, which really tells about how much he's holding back his sleep.

"I have no idea, Wolfie." He paused. "I mean, sirens are known to hop around from place to place. Again, why are you asking me this? Aren't you sleepy?"

Liam hummed. "I am but. You called."

All of a sudden, for a second, Theo was sure he was awake.

"Huh?"

"Exactly! You called and now I can't sleep."

He gulped. "Sorry, I shouldn't have--"

"OH MY GOD THEO, NO." He heard the scrambling of the sheets on the other end as the younger panicked. "I mean, because you don't normally call out of nowhere and since it's been a while that you do, it must be something important right? And if it's important, I should answer it."

"But it's... not that important though."

"Measuring importance is tiring anyway. Besides, you're talking and I'm talking so there's no point in stopping this time." He breathed. "Anyway, so about the sirens..."

~~~

MESSAGES: Nadie (@ 5:24 am)

Nadie: pssst

Oaks: ?
Oaks: stop being creepy

Nadie: (Nadie sent a voice message)

Oaks: wow. thou dareth to spy

Nadie: i didn't know i wasn't alone!

Oaks: so u were.

Nadie: was not! i was spacing out when i heard their voices
Nadie: and i was stuck here since.

Oaks: just come inside, u creep

Nadie: creep??!

Oaks: my window's open.
Oaks: the projector is out, the laptop is out
Oaks: the second bed is also out

Nadie: ...
Nadie: am i allowed to braid?

Oaks: always.

+++++

sleep deprivation is my motivation. also, this is slightly out of nowhere and kind of a neutral ground (forgive me) :'>