40: jan 29th

If someone they didn't recognize had seen them standing there in the parking lot, neither moving, neither speaking, then Jimin would admit, yes, that'd be a bit awkward.

But other than Taehyung, who was currently rummaging around their apartment, there was no one else except them.

Despite Jimin's phone's constant buzzing — which was definitely from Taehyung, because he'd seen the other with his phone by the large window looking down at them through the corner of his eyes just a moment earlier — there was nothing awkward about the silence that he and Yoongi mutually shared.

Both of them looked as if they had something to say, but was almost afraid to speak it out loud, so was instead waiting for the other to go first.

Then both of them finally opened their mouth at the same time, pausing when they saw the other do the same.

"Oh," Jimin murmured, almost sounding embarrassed. "Uh—you can go first."

"No, that's—that's okay," Yoongi said quietly, his gaze slowly traveling down to the ground. "What were you going to say?"

Jimin tensed, taking in a breath, and decided to just say it all out loud face-to-face because screw it, what did he have to lose?

"I—"

He didn't get a second word out before the sound of a saxophone playing interrupted him.

Standing by their apartment window, he spotted Taehyung with his saxophone, his cheeks puffed slightly as he huffed into his instrument.

It was quite loud, too — loud enough for the two of them to hear it perfectly well despite the difference in floor levels.

Oh, how the old man next door—Yoongi's grandpa—was going to kill them.

And Jimin had to admit, whatever song his best friend was playing, it sounded nice.

But what the heck was he DOING?

With Yoongi's gaze still focused upwards, Jimin snatched out his phone and quickly scanned through Taehyung's text messages to him.

He wasn't sure whether to cry or laugh at his soulmate's crazy idea.

But since he was going along with it anyway, then Jimin may or may not just use the chance.

"Hyung!" he cried, but his voice shook slightly and came out a little more as a whisper. Yoongi turned to him anyway, and Jimin found himself regaining some confidence before blurting, "I like you!"

Yoongi's expression didn't seem particularly impressed, and for a second Jimin wanted to deflate in humiliation and defeat. Then he noticed the slight tint of pink along his cheeks and the way his eyes widened, as if flustered, and Jimin decided to try again.

"I like you!" he yelled again, or at least, he thought he was, because he couldn't tell if the pounding in his head and the echoes in his own ears were from his raising voice or just his thoughts screaming inside him. "I really, really like you!"

He hadn't noticed Taehyung had paused with his saxophone until he resumed with playing it. Jimin's cheeks flared red with the thought of his best friend judging his confession, and the way Yoongi was practically gaping at him didn't make him any calmer.

Just as he was about to speak up again, Yoongi's gaze fell down and Jimin stopped, his heart almost falling down to his stomach at the older's reaction.

Then Yoongi whispered, "I know."

Jimin couldn't tell if his face was as hot as the fires burning up his insides. "Oh."

And then silence consumed the space between them once again.

And up by their apartment window, Taehyung was still playing his saxophone, and it almost sounded a little desperate as if he was imploring for them to get it finished with.

Jimin finally sucked in a sharp breath. His heart was once again rapidly beating against his chest, and the thought of turning and running away entered his mind. But he and Yoongi were just standing there, their eyes not even meeting, and his expression hardened as he decided he may as well ask.

"Do you..." His words faltered when the older looked up at his voice and stared at him. "Do you like me too?" His voice dropped to practically a whisper, and he cleared his throat silently to try again. "Because I—I do. And I wanted to tell you myself, earlier, but Tae accidentally did before me, and I just... I want you to hear it, again, from me."

Yoongi nodded once, his face probably as red as Jimin's. Then he whispered, "Thank you."

Jimin blinked. "Why are you thanking me?"

"For—you know—" The older seemed to be struggling to get out the words. "Liking me."

"Oh." Jimin wondered if his face could grow any pinker than it probably already was. Hearing the person he liked admitting—thanking—him for liking them... well, it did some things to his poor heart.

"But, uh—" Yoongi started, his voice even softer than before and his eyes once again flicking elsewhere.

And now Jimin could feel his heart collapsing. Just hearing that one word, 'but', and he knew it wasn't going to be anything good. And Yoongi, he looked... guilty, almost. He'd barely said two words and Jimin wanted to cry.

"It's okay," he said quickly, because if he heard any more of Yoongi's sure-to-come rejection he really was going to break down. In fact, he was sure Yoongi could hear his heart practically shattering, and he rushed out, "It's okay, it's okay. Don't worry about it. I—I know you don't like me, and I know we haven't known each other very long, and I know you don't take me seriously, and I'm sorry if anything I've ever teased you with made you uncomfortable, but it's okay, really—"

"No!" Yoongi blurted, and Jimin inhaled a cold breath. "No, it's not like that. I—I mean, I don't... I don't know. I didn't know. I thought you were just... kidding. And I was—I was just a little surprised, that you actually did, and I never thought about it before because I didn't think you—I didn't think you would, so I crossed it out of my mind but now—now you're actually—"

Jimin stared at him. He couldn't tell exactly what Yoongi was trying to say, between his stammering and Taehyung's cheering a few floors up, but he saw Yoongi's face flaring and his hands fidgeting at his sides and he thought, maybe he did have a chance after all.

"Do you like me?" Jimin blurted, interrupting him. He was positive he was stupidly watching Yoongi with hopeful eyes, but he couldn't help it.

The older paused, as if trying to figure out how to answer. "I mean, I do," he said, then hurriedly added, "Of course I do. But—but I don't know what to say right now, and I'm not sure how I feel because I never really thought about it before. But I—I do like you, I just—I just need some time to figure it out. Um—if that's... if that's okay."

Jimin beamed. It wasn't the answer he'd originally hoped for, but Yoongi just said he liked him, and wow, he'd give the other all the time in the world just to hear him say that again. That was already more than he thought he would get, and he was sure he was practically floating. "Okay!"

Yoongi relaxed a little, and he glanced up with a small, lopsided smile on his face. "Really?"

"Yeah." Jimin nodded. "It's okay. I'm okay. I... I can wait."

———

i wrote this in like 10 minutes while brushing my teeth.
Σ(・□・;)