1. A Miracle

Time goes by quickly.

It didn't seem too long ago, but suddenly, looking back, so much has passed.

I stared into the mirror quietly, then touched my face in the mirror with my hand.

I was just 20 years old, and it seems like the other day when I looked into this mirror, but the glowing skin had disappeared and there was a faint wrinkle around my eyes.

Nothing has changed in this mansion, but it feels like only me that standing in front of the mirror that felt different.

38 years old, an old virgin at that.

A poor baron's daughter, Vellia de Ferrington.

It was all referring to me.

In aristocratic societies where marriages are frequent, most women held weddings by their mid-twenties at the latest.

And by this age, they would already have two or three children whether boys or girls. [ 🐰 : 'age' here referring to her current age, 38 ]

But there was nothing beside me.

No husband nor a child. [ 🐰 : it doesn't simply said like this, but I'm kinda confused with the MTL so.. yeah ]

My family was titled Baron, the lowest rank among the nobility, and there was no dowry in the family to marry to anyone.

No, even all of that aside, I am too old.

I'm already 38, no longer beautiful and no longer shining.

There would be no man who wanted to marry someone like me.

I didn't dream of marrying anyone now, but I felt so bad about the years that passed in the blink of an eye.

Where did it go wrong?

Was it the day I turned 18, the day my mom didn't recognize me?

Baroness : "Who are you? Why am I in this house?"

The shock and horror of that day have not been forgotten.

The doctor examined my mother and stated the symptoms in a word, Dementia.

Her memory would slowly disappears, she won't recognize anyone and eventually would forget what she just did.

At that time it wasn't clear how frightening dementia was.

My two older sisters, who had a big age difference, were already married, so I took care of my sick mother.

And one year, two years ...

The time has passed ...

My mother's symptoms got worse day by day, but her body remain healthy.

The unexpected problem was that there was too little money left to take care of my mother.

My father, who was a Baron, died when I was a child, and my mother was left alone.

And since there were only three daughter in the family, there was no successor to inherit the title.

My mother who was still alive could maintain the Baron title, but she didn't know how long it's going to last without a successor.