26 | Paparazzi

Going back to Watson & Co. and resume work was proving to be harder than usual for Nova. Lee Hiram was all she could think about.

Who did he mean when he said 'she'? What did he mean when he said 'she knows'? Could he actually be referring to the nonsensical rumour that surrounded the whole of Cambridge? But this was London, word couldn't have traveled this far...could it?

When the car stopped in front of Watson & Co., that's when Nova snapped back to reality and noticed that Derek was deep in thought as well. Both of them got out of the car and entered the building, maybe a few cameramen clicked picture or two of them while they were making their way, but Nova wouldn't know. All she knew was that Derek had a stoic expression on his face but he still came for Nova to hold her hand as they walked the small distance. He didn't let go even when they had entered the building, even when they were standing in the lift, waiting for their floor to arrive.

As soon as the elevator doors closed, Derek heaved a deep sigh which made Nova think that he was really stressing himself out. Since there was no one else but them in the lift, Nova turned to stand right in front of him, his head had been bowed down, his eyes close. The hand that he was still holding, she took it over to her waist and went for the other one to do the same, eliminating the distance a bit. When he still didn't open his eyes, nova snaked her hands through his arms and went to rest them on his neck, holding his face in both of her hands and making him look at her; it worked.

"Hey," she whispered to him when he opened his eyes and gazed at her.

"Hey," he responded, his voice deep and hoarse. Nova felt chills when he said that.

"Are you okay?" she asked him, trying to get a gist of what he may be feeling or if he was yet willing to share and if she should pester him at all.

Derek only sighed, pulled her closer to him—not letting any space between them now—and rested his forehead against hers. Nova smiled a small smile at the gesture. He was sweet.

They were in that position for a minute, all the while her hands brushed the hair at the back of his head, trying to soothe him a bit, when Derek opened his eyes, lifted his head just a little bit to look at her as she did the same, dipped his head and gave her a kiss. Square on the lips.

It caught Nova off-guard for just a second before she started returning his kisses as a small smile made its way on her lips. Derek's kisses were slow at first, just like they always seemed to be, but when Nova responded to him, he pulled her closer and deepened the kiss. It made her weak on the knees but his hold was tight enough to not let her go anywhere.

Nova's hands were everywhere; one lost in his soft hair, still caressing the back of his head and the other one traveled from his hands to his chest to his head as if it had a mind of its own. She gasped when Derek's grip on her hip tightened, making her fall flush against Derek, all the while his other hand still rested on the nape of her neck, angling her face for better access. A moan threatened to escape her when he started to nibble on her lip, and she wanted nothing but to—they heard a ding.

And that's when the lift doors opened.

Derek didn't let go of her quickly though, he took his time giving her a last, lingering peck that left delicious tingles in its wake and made opening her eyes a hard job for her. Her eyes still seemed to be glazed over but so were Derek's. His hair was disheveled which Nova knew was her doing and that realisation made her face to go even redder if it was not already red. She looked down as she blushed which caused Derek to let a low chuckle. He dropped a kiss on the top of her head and enveloping her hand in his, he lead her out of the elevator.

Nova couldn't help but thank god that no one was there on Derek's floor.

After coming in her cabin—which was right beside Derek's office—Nova sat for a minute taking time to catch her breath and then began to finally get on with her work. Basically her job was just to keep an eye on the company records and help fellow employees who are facing any kind of stress or mental problem and to counsel them. Her main job actually was counseling, the keeping an eye on the record was just something in addition.