28 | The Last Test

"So you mean to say that we stressed in vain?"

"None of them knew shit?"

"They were all just bluffing?"

"Of course they were," replied Nova, as Jason and James attacked her with question after question. They were back in Derek's Office and as soon as they entered without saying anything, Derek pressed some buttons on that same phone and now they were in a conference call with James, Jason and Officer Penton.

Officer Penton, just like Derek, had been quiet the entire time, making Nova a little nervous but she indulged herself in answering James and Jason. They seemed to be quite surprised with her, and for some reason, it didn't offend her.

"Couldn't you tell by their questions? Exactly like the ones from that newspaper headline from days before. They get too unprofessional and frank and a little too nosey when it comes to striking up some sort of controversy between celebrities. Not to mention my father, as a solicitor and my mother as a social activist have been in the media's eye from time-to-time. Not to mention Adam Watson just inherited the company from his father; it had to make big news." She shrugged as she said that, explaining things that she'd contemplated before.

"Why'd you waste time on Lee and Tory, though?" Jason asked through the phone and Nova sighed.

"We didn't. We now know that they are in on some bigger messes. That much money, the job can't be normal. I'm pretty sure it's something illegal. Even if they were laundering money, they wouldn't send that amount to themselves via bank. No, think about it, it has to be something bigger than that." She explained again, told them what she thought as of now.

Glancing at Derek, she couldn't help but feel uneasiness crawl up her spine because all he did ever since they turned their backs on the crowd was purse his lips shut and keep a straight face. She could honestly use a bit of praise at this point, considering how she just went full out all on her own, risking everything. Or if not a praise then a little something would work too. But all Derek had to offer was just a straight face.

"But why waste time when you could've gone to them immediately after they started their fiasco? Could've saved the stressing that we did, don't you think?" it was James now, and of course, thought Nova, he would think that. Because Derek had looked like he was about to lose his head when he'd been on the call with James. It had to have scared the poor lad, since according to everyone, Derek never lost his cool.

"It was necessary on my part, and I apologise for any inconvenience it might've caused. We couldn't just barge out there, stressed out of our minds trying to convince people who look for cracks in people's relationships for a living. It would've busted the ruse right then and there had we rushed to them then. So, I decided to give us some time, trying to wrap our heads around the situation before we went out there to take care of it."

"Human trafficking."

All eyes turned towards the person who said that out of nowhere: Derek.

"I'm sorry?" Nova asked him when she couldn't make any connection with the two words that he uttered and the previous conversation.

"That's it." Nova's eyes snapped back to the phone from which Penton's voice came.

What?

"That would make sense. The papers for the case mentioned human trafficking, Ms. Newton and I will make sure to work on it closely from now on. James?" Derek called out and James's voice came from the device as a 'yes, sir!'

"Make sure to go through the papers and important information. I will contact you later. Off you go, then," and saying that, he disconnected him after hearing another 'yes, sir!'