Im doing it for you

The next day I knew I had to do something. I was determined to finish what John started. I left the Schuyler mansion for the first time in a while and I walked to Alex's house. I knocked on the door and Alex opened the door. He saw me and looked surprised but soon after he hugged me. I hugged back and asked if I could come in. He said yes and I sat down on the couch with him. Then I said "So as you know... Johns dream was to start the first all black military regiment...." I started crying again and Alex rubbed my back and said "Take your time Y/n" So I took a few deep breaths and continued "So I wanted to start the first all black military regiment in Johns honor. And I was wondering if you would help me?" He smiled lightly and said "I think that John would be so proud. Of course I'll help you." I smiled and hugged him. Then I said "So where do we start?" And Alex being Alex took out a pen and paper and started writing things down. He then handed me the paper and said "So first things first. We should go talk to President Washington and we will convince him to have us start a troop that will be willing to fight. Then we will have to recruit men by putting up flyers. Once that is done I will explain what we need to do next." I couldn't believe it. I was going to do this and I felt proud. So we arrived at Washington's office and we told him our plan and how it was in Johns honor. He was more than thrilled to help us. I was so happy for the first time in what felt like forever. Then after the meeting I went home and started making all kinds of posters of my plan and that we needed men to volunteer. So the next day I put flyers all around town and the flyers say where to meet and when to meet there. Once I was done putting up all the flyers I walked home. When I was walking home I saw the bar I used to work at. The bar that is now shut down. The bar where I first met John. I teared up a little bit thinking about how much I miss him. And thinking about the fact that I can never see him again. Ugh I have to snap out of it. I walked home and the girls wanted to cheer me up so they told me we were going shopping tomorrow. So I went to bed and got a full night of sleep.

I woke up and got out of bed to take a shower. I stopped crying in front of people because I never want them to worry about be but in the shower is where I go to get all the sobs and tears out that have been building up from the day before. Every once in awhile when I look at my bed I remember the times we spent together and all the memories we have together. Well. Had together. I know that there will never be a day that I stop loving him. Even though he is gone he still lives on in my heart. Soon the water started to run cold and I knew I have been in there for too long. So I got out and changed into a casual dress and headed down stairs. I saw Angelica eating breakfast and Eliza and Peggy walking into the kitchen from the other entrance and I gave them a smile. After we finished breakfast we headed to town. All day we went to different stores trying on dresses and jewelry. I ended up getting a pair of earrings and a new dress. After shopping we decided to talk home and on the way there we got lost and ended up taking a different way to the house. But I didn't realize that this was Johns old street. I don't know why I never thought about coming to his house even to clean it out. But when we walked closer al took a good look at the porch I saw a beautiful memorial with candles and flowers and pictures of him. I couldn't stop my tears from falling and when I was ready to walk away I saw something sticking out of his mailbox. A package. I took it and brought it home with me. When I put away my new stuff from town I stared at the box on my bed. I finally opened it and I soon realized what it was. It was Johns stuff... it had all the things that were in his pockets in the battlefield. I saw a picture of us from the night of the ball and his necklace. I took out the necklace and it has his name engraved on it so I held it up to my chest and later put it on. I took out the picture and placed it on my bedside table. There wasn't much in the box but I was glad I had it. I put the box in my closet and went to bed. I fell asleep with his necklace on and I didn't plan on taking it off.

1 week later

Today was the day. I was not sure how many people would actually show up but I was hoping for the best. So I got ready and met up with Alex at the park where the flyers said to meet. We were a little late but I didn't think anything of it. I was really nervous and as we approached the park and when we turned the corner my jaw dropped. There were thousands of black men all patiently waiting for us. I teared up a little bit when I saw how many people were here. There had to be at least 4,000 men here. Then slowly they all spotted me and Alex walk into the middle of the group which took awhile because of how many people were here. Soon we were in the center and it was time for me to start talking. I let out a shaky breath and loudly said "Thank you all so much for coming and wanting to be apart of this group. I can't explain how much this means to me. Just a few weeks ago someone who is very important to me passed and this was his dream. And you all are helping me do just that. So thank you." That all clapped and cheered and I smiled. Then it was Alexander's turn to talk and he told them that they were to get on the train and head to the the camp that President Washington himself made sure went up. That's when it hit me. I actually did it. I have taken the dream John never got to live and I succeeded. From that day on the troop did great things and helped fight against all the threats that came to our country. I was proud and I knew John would be too.