Rachel

"You're being ridiculous!" Jamie shouts at me. Rolling my eyes I ignore her.

"Leave her alone," Chrissy comes to my defense.

"I just don't understand why you won't call him." I see Annie shoot her a look, begging her to shut up.

It's been almost a week and a half since I met Nathan. Jamie has been asking every day why I won't text him.

"It's her decision."

"You're the one who said to let him fuck me and get rid of him," I remind her.

"That was before you said, and I quote, he blew your mind."

He had.

"It was just sex," I say. Really amazing, hot, sweaty sex. In a public bathroom. The craziest I'd ever had sex with one of my ex's had been the couch.

"Then why can't you stop talking about him?" Jamie accuses. I watch Chrissy and Annie exchange glances. They're used to our banter. We're more like sisters than friends and we aren't shy about expressing our opinions. But we can also fight like sisters.

Pursuing my lips I stare back at her. I don't have an answer. I could deny it but she was right.

"I told you. No more relationships."

"I'm not letting this go," she says stubbornly. "You even saved his number in your phone before tossing his card. Because you knew you'd want to call him." I take a deep breath before downing the rest of my third glass of sangria Chrissy made for us to enjoy by her pool.

"Will you just drop it already? No more relationships because I have no desire to be told for a third time I'm not wife material."

The alcohol worked like truth serum, forcing my mouth to say the words before my brain could think better of it. Tears flooded my eyes as I fought desperately to blink them away.

Jamie's face softens instantly. "You are wifey material," she says sternly. "You dated Jackson from the time you were seventeen until you were twenty-one. He ran because he thought you wanted to get married, but you didn't. That's not your fault. It's his. He wanted to sow his wild outs or whatever the fuck bull shit he spewed when he broke up with you. And where did that get him? Two baby mama's." She snorted taking a sip of her drink. "And Joe?" She snorted louder this time. "Four years with him to find him in bed with his neighbor from across the hall? And for him to throw that garbage at you about not being wife material? Bull. He's just an intimidated little boy. You're a forensic accountant who regularly works for the most powerful law firm in the county. One of the top in the whole damn state. Working for one of the best attorneys," she pauses to tilt her glass at Chrissy.

I worked freelance for almost every one of Chrissy's cases and occasionally for a private investigator but those jobs were usually dirty, blurring the lines between right and wrong. I liked being on the right side of the law.

"He can't handle you not being the damsel in distress he needs to feel good about himself. Fuck him," she says finishing her drink.

"True or not it still makes me question if they're not right. They both said the same thing."

"Fuck 'em," she says again.

"Although I disagree with her language," Annie comments, shooting her secret girlfriend a look that makes us all laugh. "She's right. Your worth as a woman isn't in any way attached to how they see you."

"Take a chance," Chrissy encourages. "Love can be found in unusual places." Annie and Jamie practically swoon at each other and I'm not sure they're actually even trying to hide it anymore. Chrissy smirks at me before hiding it behind her glass.