Chapter #1: Even a Glance would be Enough

As Barbatos and Diavolo walked in their usual, slow pace towards the entrance to the Royal Academy of Diavolo, the two were greeted by seven demon brothers of their land called Devildom. The seven brothers were a part of the elite group of demons, such as them which is why it is not surprising to everyone why they are always the center of attention.

"Greetings, everyone!" Diavolo greeted the seven demon brothers and the human girl who accompanies them.

Each greeted the future king of Devildom and his butler who happens to be the calm and collected, Barbatos.

"Shall we proceed to discuss where we left off at our meeting yesterday, Lucifer?" Diavolo asked the eldest of the seven demon brothers, Lucifer, the Avatar of Pride.

"While walking to class, yes," Lucifer answered.

While the two talked ahead, the rest of Lucifer's brothers, Mammon (Avatar of Greed), Leviathan (Avatar of Envy), Satan (Avatar of Wrath), Asmodeus (Avatar of Lust), Beelzebub (Avatar of Gluttony), and Belphegor (Avatar of Sloth), are walking behind their eldest brother while talking to the girl who Barbatos sneakily glances at every now and then as he walks in the shadow of his young master.

He knows he is allowed to talk to her and hang out, just like the rest of the elites can do (considering that he is part of the elite and won't do anything to harm her), but he couldn't bring himself up to do it.

He can clearly see between short glances how she smiles at Lucifer and his brothers every time he comes across them.

Like right now.

He can see how she breaks into raucous laughter at Mammon's stupidity and how she holds on to Beelzebub's muscular arms due to so much laughter.

That is not even half of what dear Barbatos knows.

He also knows that each of the seven demon brothers longs for her full attention to only one of them and each one of them wants that.

Barbatos secretly wishes for the same thing.

While they all are having fun as if they are the only ones in the world, Barbatos simply smiles through all of it, hoping for a chance that he could have even just a sliver of their spotlight so that maybe... just maybe... he could spend some time with her as they do.

"Oh, wait! I just remembered something," she said giddily and turned to Barbatos as she called him.

Wish granted.

"Yes?" Barbatos asked in his calm, gentlemanly, butler tone.

"I'm coming over to the demon lord's castle later. You do remember, don't you?" she asked in her sweet, kind tone that Barbatos loves to hear.

Barbatos immediately perked up.

Of course, he would remember. That's what brightened his dark day from the beginning.

Barbatos showed her his usual smile, "Of course. I would never forget."

"Why is she going there again?" Belphegor asked.

"She wants Barbatos to teach her some new recipes," Beelzebub answered, a drool coming out from the side of his mouth. "And I can't wait to take a taste."

"Well, I'm coming with!" Mammon announced.

Barbatos turned his head forward and frowned. He was hoping that this time, he would spend time alone with her. Like hanging out.

Like a date.

A date only he knows.

A date that not even his date knows it is a date.

Besides, haven't Mammon had a lot of time being with her? Barbatos certainly thought Mammon did. After all, the demon is a natural tsundere. Even Barbatos himself knows that. Mammon would tend to have any (stupid) means necessary to have her all to himself.

Despite Mammon acting stupid most of the time, he still lives up to his title as the avatar of greed, after all. Not by being greedy of her money (not even slightly. He heard that Mammon tends to shower her with gifts.), but being greedy of her time more so than others.

"Well, see you all later, then," Diavolo said as he and Lucifer stopped in their tracks.

"This is the part where we all disperse to our designated classrooms," she said with a slight laugh to which Diavolo responded to with a laugh.

"Why, yes! How swift time flies," Diavolo quipped. "We will all still see each other later so don't worry. Especially with the student council having a meeting later after school," Belphegor sighed and Mammon groaned in the back, receiving piercing glares from Lucifer. "And as far as I remember," Diavolo continued. "You and Barbatos are supposed to meet up later after school to learn more dishes. You made the right choice for asking him to teach you."

Barbatos just gave out a smile to both Diavolo and to her who seems even more pleased to ask me for help. The young master is the future king of Devildom. The future king of the demons! But he doesn't nearly act all tyrant, cruel, strict, and evil like one would think at first because of his title. He is more cheerful and kind. He sees above all matters in a calm way with the help of his butler, Barbatos, and Lucifer, his right-hand man.

As everyone went to their designated classrooms, Barbatos shot a last glance at her as she talked giddily with Mammon, Asmodeus, and Leviathan. Apparently, her first class is with them. More time with them, less time with him.

Barbatos cleared his head.

After school. That is his time.

It won't be too long now.