Chapter 3 Under the deep

Jess's POV

I threw our gears into the sub before we got down to the room. Jonas switched on the lights and I saw a little girl sitting on the pilot seat. I looked at Jonas, he was a bit shocked by the girl, 'Hello, skipper.'

The girl turned around, 'you two must be the crazy guys.' Listened to the girl's saying, which lessen a little bit of my anxiety. She is cute. I thought

Jonas heard what the girl said, and his mouth just twitched. 'Now who called me that.' The girl was still holding the control panel of the sub, playing. She answered, 'My mum. Dr Heller.'

I helped Jonas to place the gears and he told the girl, 'Well, we're not crazy. We have just seen something nobody has.' The girl turned around again, glanced at us, 'that's the definition of crazy!'

We laughed, I adjusted the settings of the panel on the wall. Jonas was looking for the backup power, murmured, 'Backup power. Backup power.' The girl pressed a button on the control panel. The girl looked like 8 or 9 years old, but why her parents seemed so assured and let her girl stayed in a sub, 'So where's your parent?'

She answered 'my mum is trying to bring our friends back from the ocean. My dad is with a pilates instructor in Taipei. Grandpa says mum needs to move on, but mum says she needs some more time because she was married to an a-hole.'

I lifted an eyebrow, 'sounds like your mum got a point,' and I walked a bit closer to the little girl, 'you know a lot.' The girl smiled, 'eight-year-olds hear everything.'

Jonas gave the girl a big smile and kept checking on the setting, while I was talking to the girl. I pointed at the control panel, 'mind if I give it a try?'

The girl got up from the seat, and started to got back to Mana One. She turned back and asked us, 'Hey crazies. Is my mum gonna die?' I looked at her, assured, 'we'll have Captain Bubbles and your mum back in no time. We promise.'

The girl smiled and climbed up.

I took a deep breath, so did Jonas. I sat on the co-pilot seat and Jonas sat on the pilot seat, we did some final checks. I put on the comms and we heard Mac was talking to the crew, Mac told us, 'Evolution, we are go to dive.'

Even the system told us that we are ready to go. We were still preparing ourselves, as we were about to go back to the place that we used to love but also a place which made us lost too much. Jonas looked at me, I looked at Jonas. But we assured each other we will make it back with the crew. We launched the sub.

We started it again. Back to rescue people. Back to this unpredictable deep sea.

After the launch, Jonas was focused on the control panel and I moved to shut the secondary system down in order to make the sub descends as fast as it could be.

We are really pushing it. I thought.

People back in the main control room also had the same question, Dr Heller monitored the data and looked at Mac, 'they're gonna black out. Their blood gases are dropping.' Mac called my name, 'Jess?'

And sure, we heard that through the comms, I said, 'Tell Heller we're not going to slow down. We were bit busy saving people down there.' Mac smiled and patted Heller's shoulders.

Suyin was descending but not as fast as we were. The Evolution was charged with 200% power as we transferred all the energy needed to the engine. However, she was still faster than we did. She entered the thermocline.