Chapter 6 Reunion

Jess's POV

Jonas and I went to the medical bay, we saw Lori had regained her consciousness. She smiled to us as we came in the room.

I walked faster towards my sister and left Jonas behind, I gave Lori a hug. Lori tried her best to hug me back, and gave me a big smile.

Lori looked at me and Jonas, 'you two are still inseparable. God knows I miss you two so much.' I stared at my sister, it's been five years. The last time we met was five years ago, soon after the rescue mission went south.

'We didn't know you will get your ass down there and get yourself killed after five years.' Jonas joked. Lori sighed, 'I didn't know it ended up like this.'

We talked about stuff this and that for awhile and we left the medical bay since Lori was drowsy due to her medicine. We headed to the meeting room that Suyin mentioned earlier.

-Meeting Room-

When we entered the meeting room, I saw Meiying was sitting on the ground, listened to the grown-ups talking about the megalodon. She saw us when Dr Zhang and Morris were arguing about the megalodon, she looked at us 'hey crazies,' We crouched and she said gratefully, 'thank you for keeping your promise.' 'You're welcome.' Jonas stared at her, kindly. She left with patting our shoulders, I leaned against the wall and listened to their argument.

Morris said ambitiously, 'Other people will want a piece of this thing whether we like it or not.'

I actually disagreed with what he said, everything exists with a reason whether we like it or not. Jonas had the same thought as I did, 'you seem to like it.' Morris heard his saying, he was confused, 'Excuse me?'

'He said. You seem to like it.' I despised. 'I'm sorry. Are they part of the team?' Morris asked hypocritically. The Wall was pissed by Morris's attitude, 'you're damn right, they're part of the team.' I chuckled due to the Wall's saying.

Jonas glared at Morris, 'you ever think that Mother Nature might know what's doing? The thermocline might just be there for a reason.' We walked closer to the desk, I glared at Morris and cautioned him, 'you wanna explore? Yeah, go ahead, explore. Do it. But if you gonna send people back down there, don't call us to save your asses, again. Because what happened down there wasn't clear to you, man versus a meg isn't a fight. It's a slaughter.'

Jonas continued, 'last time, that thing hit a nuclear sub and killed my teammates. That nuclear sub was turned to ashes back down the trench. This time, it crashed the Origin and killed one of the crew. Like it or not, it's fucking crazy if you wanna send people to a slaughter.'

We ended the conversation and we left the meeting room. That's true. Under the thermocline, there were too many unknown existence, nobody can ensure what will or will not happen. That's fucking crazy and stupid to send people down.

We were back to our room and I lied on my bed, reading a book. Jonas's hand on my waist, we read the book together. We left once Lori is fine. But all of a sudden, there's something hitting the station and I heard a little girl screamed. There was one girl on board, Meiying.

Jonas and I ran down to O-Level, since our room was near to O-Level. We met Suyin and Mac, and we spread to different directions. Jonas and I headed left, Suyin and Mac headed right. We ran fast, and we met again in an area which was under maintenance. Meiying was crying in Suyin's arms, she was scared, 'The...there's...a mons...monster watching us.'

I knew that's impossible, but the meg flooded in my mind as there was a huge bite mark. A whale approached and hit the glass, but that's not the creature can make such an impact. A meg ate that whale in a split second.

All of us rushed to the main control room, Mac entered the main control while telling the team to initiate the emergency protocols, and no one is to go near the water. I spoke to Mac, 'Turn off all the underwater lightning. Restrict the crew to essential area. Stay dark and it should be able to keep the meg away from us...' I paused, 'for now.'

DJ yelled, 'what do you mean for now? What the hell will happen?' 'I think it can't pass through the thermocline and back down.' I explained. DJ asked Suyin in a whisper, 'You said it was impossible for it to get up here.' Suyin shook her head, 'it should have been.'

Jaxx checked on the data, 'hey guys, take a look at this.' and she projected the data onto the screen. 'When the glider came up, the thermocline was intact so it was one degree Celsius, right?' Then she pulled up another set of data, 'But a few minutes later, when the Evolution came up, the temperature increased by twenty-five degree. A shark could come right through there, twenty sharks for that matter.'

Jonas looked at the data on the screen, 'when the meg hit the Origin, it slammed into a thermal vent.' Dr Zhang continued, 'Those can release millions of gallons per minute. The heat from that vent cleared the path through the freezing cold layer.'

Morris yelled, 'you mean we opened up a super highway for giant sharks.' 'Not exactly, it seems like it was a transitory event. The temperature are returned to normal and the gap is closed.' Jaxx double checked on the data.

DJ blurted, 'yeah, but not before a massive prehistoric killing machine decided to come up and say Hi.' I laughed crossly, stared at the data, 'we are wasting time here, that thing is out there. We need to find it and kill it.'

Suyin stood up and insisted, 'No, we can't. We should explore non-lethal options first.'

Jonas teased, 'for the meg or for us.' And I was thinking, of course that's for us, the meg is literally thousand times stronger than us.