Chapter 2:: Waking up

"Hey, stupid tomato jerk!" Little Romano growled, watching Spain mop the wooden floor. "You-a missed a spot!"  Lovino said, pointing at below his feet where he tossed his tomato to see Spain's reaction.

  Antonio looked at the spot then sighed. "Oops." The spaniard mumbled with a small smile, and ran the mop over the spot, cleaning it up. Romano was slightly shocked, but didn't show it, that his guardian didn't yell at him, call him any bad names, even though that's all he did to the older man. His amber orbs looked up at Spain, and the man still had a smile gracing his lips.

  Later that day, Spain was laying back on his worn, beat down couch, his arm slung over his eyes in hopes of rest from working all day to get his house clean and earn money for his country. Silently, Little South Italy stood beside the country, a blanket in one hand and a pillow in the other. His dark amber eyes studdied the brunette. He then started to wonder... Why was Spain so nice and kind to him when all he did was treat him like crap back because everyone else loved his younger brother, North Italy. Spain was the only one who actually made time for him, no matter how tired or busy, the spaniard always made time to give Romano the attention he wanted.

  "Toni..." The little nation whispered his guardian's nick-name for the first time.

  "Hm?" Spain dropped his arm and turned his emerald eyes to Lovino. "Roma? What is it? Can't sleep?" He asked, kindly, as he sat up.

  Lovino shook his head, and held up the two articles at hand. "You-a need these."

  Astonished, Antonio blicked at Romano. "What? Lovi, what are you talking about, amigo?"

  The little country's face burned a bright, tomato red. "Just-a take it, tomato-bastard! We-a both know that you-a need to-a sleep!"

  Smiling, again, Spain gently took the blanket and pillow. He fluffed the pillow then set it on the crook of the arm of the couch, then scooped up Lovino. The dark brunette yelped in surprise, and soon found himself laying beside Antonio. "Let's lay together!" The older man grinned, laying the thin blanket across Romano instead of himself or the both of them.

  "F-fine, stupido!" Grumbling, Lovino buried his face in the spaniard's chest and curling up. With a soft chuckle, Spain started gently rubbing Romano's little back to coax him into sleep, adding a quick kiss to the little one's fore-head.

  "Buenes noches."

  Why is Spain so kind? Romano pondered as his eyes were lulled together by sleep. I guess I'll stay with him... even if he does annoy me.

~*~*~*~*~

  Amber eyes fluttered open as he woke from the dream. Though, he soon snaped wide awake when he felt that his hands were bound behind him and around the back of a chair as well as each ankle being strapped to the legs of the chair. "What the-" Romano tugged at the bindings, and growled as they cut into his skin.

  "I see you've finally woke, Southern Italy." A red-haired man spoke as he suantered in, a wicked grin on his face.

  Said man curled his lips back in  a sneer as he glared fiercly at the man. "What do you-a want!?" He snapped, watching Claudio's each step.

  "Just to become a country myself and have an immortal life." Claudio raised his fist, then brought it crashing down on the italian.

~*~*~*~*~

  With a soft moan, Spain woke, smiling at the dream he had. Romano had his soft moments he rarely let show. That was something the spaniard loved about the italian. Forgetting the occurences of the previous day, the man tried to sit up, soon regretting it. With a low grunt, Spain fell back onto the bed, his head swimming in pain and the rest of his body feeling as if he were up in flames.

  "You're-a awake!" A familiar voice cried and the owner ran into the room. "Big brother Spain, don't- a try to-a get up. It'll make it-a worse." The small italian whispered, unlike his normally loud nature. Spain was glad for that for his head felt like it was already exploding enough.

  "Wha-what happened?" The emerald eyed man murmured weakly, groggily looking up at the closed-eyed italian.

  Italy's face saddened more. "Doitsu and I-a decided to-a visit. You're-a front door was-a open, so we-a went in. You're-a house was a big mess, and you-a were on the ground, badly hurt and unconscious." Tears started to slip down Feliciano's cheeks as he whimpered. "We couldn't find mio fratello anywhere either!"

  Then the event came back and hit him right in the face like America's base-ball bat. Spain remembered men intruding in his house, then kiddnapping his little Romano.

  "But you-a were beat up-a so bad! The-a doctor said that-a you-a had broken ribs, broken fingers, and you-a fractured your-a jaw! He-a also said that-a your organs were probably beat really bad and you'll-a need to-a rest for a few weeks before doing anything like battles or wars or even-a drinking. You're-a body wouldn't be able to-a handle it." Feli rambled, more tears soaking hs pale skin.

  Antonio stared up at Italy with remorse filling his once bright eyes. He couldn't do anything to save his little roma... I'm so sorry, Lovi... So, so sorry. His own tears slid down his face as he raised a hand to cover his emerald eyes. I couldn't do anything to save you, Lovi. Sobs escaped passed the spaniards split lips. He wished he could just go back in time, to when he had no worried except for his little grumpy boy who made him do all the work when really, Romano was supposed to do it. "Mi pequeño Roma..."