Chapter 7

Obadiah led Arcturus to the dining hall, taking him into the Atrium and beneath the carved archway. Sacharissa paced protectively beside them, sniffing with excitement as they passed through the doors and the scent of food pervaded the air.

The room was filled with low stone tables, surrounded by a dozen servants who scurried around with platters of food. Some of them were dwarves, with thick braided beards and long ponytails. Ulfr was among them, marked out by a purple bruise that must have blossomed on his forehead overnight.

An enormous statue dominated the center of the room: an armoured man with a powerful build and short beard. His stony gaze seemed to fix on Arcturus, following him as he walked deeper into the room. The level of detail was extraordinary, as if a giant had been turned to stone.

Despite the size of the dining hall, only a few tables were occupied, with an assortment of boys and girls who had turned to stare at them. Arcturus could see bacon and eggs piled high, the gamy scent filling his nostrils and flooding his mouth with saliva.

"Good morning, students," Obadiah said, striding ahead of Arcturus to stand beside them. He paused, looking at them expectantly.

"Good morning, Provost Forsyth, sir," the students echoed back dutifully, though the tone was one of exasperation rather than respect.

"I would like to introduce you to our newest student ..." He paused, and Arcturus realized that Charles Faversham was seated with the others, staring at him with hatred in his eyes. "Ah, I see that Charles has arrived at last. Has he filled you in?"

There were several nods from the table and Obadiah smiled.

"In that case, I shall give you a brief summary of the events that have led to a commoner joining Vocans. On his way here, Charles mislaid his summoning scroll. It was stolen by young Arcturus here."

Charles shifted in his seat uncomfortably, before shooting Arcturus another malice laden look. Arcturus realized that the young noble must have neglected to mention that part in his version of the story. Obadiah didn't seem to notice Charles's embarrassment and carried on blithely.

 "By some quirk of nature, he was able to summon the demon Lord Faversham had captured for Charles. After proper interrogation, King Alfric decided that it would be in Hominum's best interest to train the boy."

One of the nobles stood up, a tall, heavyset lad with a square jaw and a cap of blonde curls.

"Father, how is this possible?" the boy asked, giving Arcturus a disdainful look. "The gift is passed through the blood, it is not some randomly occurring ability."

"Do not interrupt, Zacharias," Obadiah said mildly, pushing him back into his seat. "But you have cut right to the heart of the matter. King Alfric has posed that very question to me. In fact, I have another announcement to make. I will be leaving Vocans as Provost, short though my tenure has been here. The king has requested that I lead an investigation, to find out whether Arcturus is a freak, or if there are others like him out there."

Arcturus looked from Obadiah to Zacharias, suddenly seeing the resemblance between them. The Provost's son's face had become crestfallen, before twisting into a scowl as his eyes fell on Arcturus.

"Being Provost is far more important. This task is beneath you, Father," Zacharias muttered.

"You think you know better than your king?" Obadiah asked, giving his son a withering look. "Prince Harold, why do you think your father has sent me away?"

Arcturus's heart leaped in his chest as a dark haired boy with piercing blue eyes stood. His brow was ringed by a silver circlet, studded with rubies. The king's own son was studying at the academy!