Chapter 8

Arcturus was expecting them to lead him up one of the winding staircases when they left the dining hall, but instead they only took a few steps out into the atrium, where the others stopped and began to talk among themselves. It was very dark in the room, for one of the servants had put out the torches. The only source of light came from the dining hall behind them, and a broad column of light from the glass dome embedded in the atrium's ceiling.

As he wondered at the darkness of the room, the other students pointed their fingers into the air, releasing balls of strange blue light that floated around the room, drifting this way and that as if they had a life of their own. They cast a dull cobalt glow in the darkness of the atrium, shifting the shadows and illuminating the gloomy cavern above their heads.

It was the first time Arcturus had seen a spell, and he stared wide-eyed as the strange blue lights glided around the darkness like fireflies. He stared at his own fingers, wondering if he would ever be capable of creating such wonders. Sarcharissa whined, frustrated at his lack of attention. He tore his eyes away from the spectacle and put his hands to better use.

"What happens now? Shouldn't we be getting to the lesson?" Arcturus asked, rubbing Sacharissa's head.

"This is where all the spellcraft lessons are," Elaine replied, crouching in front of Sacharissa and examining her with unashamed interest. "I love her eyes, they're so blue! Can I pet her?" she asked, reaching out a hand.

"Elaine!" Fergus snapped, jerking her away. "You know you're not supposed to touch another person's demon, especially if it's a boy's!"

"Why not?" Arcturus asked, wide eyed.

"It would be ... unbecoming," Fergus said, his face reddening. Even as he said it, Arcturus could feel the waves of pleasure from Sacharissa as he scratched her between the ears. Fergus was right. It would be ... strange ... if Elaine was to do the same.

"Sorry ..." Elaine said, kicking the ground with the toe of her boots.

"Cheer up, I'm only looking out for you. You're far too young and even if you weren't, well ... it's a commoner's demon." Fergus frowned. "No offense," he added hastily.

Now it was Arcturus's turn to redden.

"None taken," he replied, though his insides seethed with anger. He had no interest in the little girl, she was only about thirteen after all, and romance was the last thing on his mind. Still, it hurt. His ineligibility as a suitor did not need to be pointed out so bluntly.

"Why don't you play with Valens. You only got him yesterday," Edmund interrupted, strolling over from the others and giving Arcturus a sympathetic smile.

"I thought we weren't allowed to have our demons out, unless it was a lesson," Elaine said, sticking out her bottom lip.

"Well, the teacher's late, but the lesson's started. I'm sure they won't mind, whoever they are," Edmund replied.

She looked to Fergus for permission, who rolled his eyes before giving her an exasperated nod.

"Brilliant!" she grinned, before reaching into her pocket and pulling out a Mite, half the size of Obadiah's Rubeus and brown as an autumn leaf, yet clearly of the same species.

"Hey, you're supposed to have him infused, not just out of sight!" Fergus remonstrated.

"What's the point of having the smallest demon here if I can't hide him in my pocket? Come on Valens, let's practice hunting!" Elaine giggled, letting the demon fly from her palm to hover in front of her face.

Arcturus couldn't help but smile as the impudent girl capered around the room, leaping and dodging as she and her Mite, Valens, played a strange game of tag.