9

"You're an Earth bender?"

Tsai paced around the guest bedroom where her mother was calmly sitting on one of the sofa chairs. Her usual cool and collected demeanor in play. She had always known that her mother was from an Earth Kingdom nationality but this?

She was furiously pacing, breathing harsh as she walked a tight rope bordering on a panic attack. They had just survived the collapse of a temple, they had almost died – hell, they had witnessed the death of dozens of loyal Ozai supporters. Amongst them Mai's father. Arrangements were being presently made for the quick burial and service of anybody that had perished.

"And what? You were just going to keep this to yourself? Take it to the grave?"

Her mother remained stoic, cold.

Tsai really wished her brother could be here. Instead he was presently preoccupied consoling a certain mourning girl.

Sanju remained silent at her daughter's questioning.

"Does dad know?"

"No," She finally spoke single word.

"Why didn't you ever say anything? How can dad not know?"

The older woman sighed and relaxed in her seat for what seemed to be the first time since she arrived to the Fire Nation. She uncrossed her legs and lowered her tightly knit hands down to her lap.

"Your father and I... Like most unions of higher tier, it was arranged. Your grandfather always looked out for me and my family. Sencha felt that a union between his Fire Nation son and a woman from the Earth Kingdom would bring unity to Yu Dao and of course, he was right."

Her daughter starred at her intensely both her eyes wide at the admission. How could her mother speak so calmly about this?

"You're very lucky to have found someone that reciprocates your feelings. I always knew you'd marry well, not the Fire Lord per say. You'd marry someone who wouldn't be affected by... your background."

She chose to ignore her mother's ramblings, still much too preoccupied and lost in her own thoughts. However, Sanju did have a point. It was one of the red-head's fears that was further intensified by this. What would the Fire Nation be with an earth bending heir?

"So, you didn't love him... dad?" Her daughter asked weakly shifting on to a more present and unavoidable topic.

"I learned to," she responded. "He respected me and having come from nothing, owing everything to your grandfather, I had no choice but to agree to the arrangement."

Tsai was in shock. She had never questioned her parent's relationship. It seemed dull to her and just like every other older couple. For some reason she had just assumed they met at a dinner or something cliché amongst those lines.

It was then that her mother broke the silence letting out a weak laugh. The red head remained mute, still processing what her mother had just said to her. She had long stopped anxiously pacing the room and now stood frozen in shock.

"You don't know how scared I was when I was pregnant with you. How relieved I was that your brother was born with the ability to ignite fire."

The room suddenly felt small, asphyxiating, she had to get out of here. She needed space. "I-I need to go clear my head," Tsai managed as she exited the room. Her mother didn't reach for her this time.

Tsai didn't know where to go. Chaos and havoc had been unleashed in the Fire Nation. Protesting citizens were mourning in the streets, chaos unleashed, widowed women crying for their husbands, orphans sobbing for their parents that had perished in the collapse of the temple. The nation was on the verge of an uprising.