Chapter 35: Sakumo comes home

When I finally got the summons to come home I didn't hesitate. I went straight to the Land of Snow's Daiyamo and told him I had to leave. I made excuses that a family member would be needing us and so we were moving away.

He wanted to know how long until I left and I told him right after I finished this conversation. He wanted to give us a farewell dinner or celebration, but I apologized and said it was an emergency situation and there was no time.

I gathered our things which were mostly sealed in scrolls and placed Kabuto in his sling tied to my back and we left.

"Dada, where we goin?"

"Home, little dragon, we are going home. It's time we go back to our family."

"Famidy?"

"Yes, family, your mama and brothers and sister."

"Not undastand, dada."

"I'm sorry, little dragon. I know you don't. We left a long time ago cause it wasn't safe. But now your mother needs me. And so we are returning to where we belong."

I kept running. I would reach a different terrain soon. We would be out of the Land of Snow by nightfall. But I wanted out of Snow before we stopped anywhere.

"Mommy? Me hab a mommy? Me aldayz wanna mommy!"

"Yes, you do. And brothers Minato, Kakashi and Kinoe and a sister, Anko. They miss you and will be so happy to see you again."

"Sorry, dada I no undastand."

"It's ok. Why don't you close your eyes and go to sleep, little dragon, we have a long journey home."

"Mmmmm, otay."

I didn't stop running all night. I stopped at an inn so we could eat and Kabuto could rest and awhile. But I was too full of energy to stay for more than a few hours.

That is how our trip went. Weeks went by. I would eventually stop for enough time to rest and eat for me also. But traveling with a toddler was slow going. He would get fussy from no activity and hungry or have to toilet. It was endless stopping. I had plenty of money. When you are provided housing and paid well you tend to save up money. So we stayed at inns. I wouldn't subject my son to camping yet. Besides I felt unsafe doing so.

By the time I made it outside Konohagukure, I was looking a lot scruffy and travel worn. Kabuto wasn't much better. I sent a summons straight to the hokage and waited. I was starting to get worried. I had arrived early morning and it was after noon now.

I was on high alert when I felt chakra. But then Kaze (Wind), the ninken I sent, came running up to me. I felt the chakra pulse. Someone who knew my family traditions.

"Dad?"

"Minato? Is that you?"

Around a tree my eldest son came. His light sunshine blonde hair and sky blue eyes and sparkling smile. Just as I remembered, only a touch older.

We race to each other and I embraced him as a father to his son and not as men greeting each other.

"Oh, dad, I'm so glad you are back."

"Me too. You are almost a man now. I've missed too much."

"Dada?"

I felt Kabuto stir awake from his nap on my back. Minato smiled at him.

"You are so big now, Kabuto! I'm your brother, Minato. I have not seen you since you were a baby."

"My bodder?"