Chapter 24

🐥 Jimin's POV 🐥

Sun poured through the soaring, mountain-shaped dome of glass that topped the large foyer of the Busan Public Library. Jungkook had said he was in Reference, on the second floor. I ran up the huge spiral stairway two steps at a time. Jungkook wanted to see me! No, he has said he needed to see me, which was even better. Wasn't it? As I reached the landing, I felt a tug inside me, followed by a strong desire to eat. We were still bonded.

"Jimin!" Jungkook waved at me from the Internet terminals.

I made myself walk to meet him instead of running like a kid. The way my face lit up when he called my name was a bad enough.

"I have some good news." He put his hands on my shoulders.

My heart began to pound. He was going to tell me that he didn't care about Hyunbin or his land, only me.

Jungkook tipped his head toward a woman standing at the terminal beside him. "This is Saeron. She might be able to help me find Hyunbin."

The woman gave her mouse a final click and turned her attention to us. My heart went from pounding to sinking as I took stock of her.

Closed-fitting pants and a tunic in shades of gray hugged her slender curves. Under her long white hair, she had a large, almond-shaped eyes. I looked closer—violet eyes. "Is this your sister?" I asked Jungkook hopefully.

"I don't have any siblings. Saeron, this is Jimin."

Saeron didn't smile, nor did she offer her hand. "So this is the human." She said, in the same tone someone else might say, I see we have to call the septic-tank company.

I lifted my chin. "That's right. The human who saved Jungkook. The human who's keeping him alive. That human."

She sighed and turned back to the computer. "I suppose we have to use whatever we can, these days."

I turned to Jungkook, outraged.

He gave me an apologetic look. "Saeron's land isn't threatened by Hyunbin at the moment, but her two closest neighbors were both attacked. She's helping them while trying to figure out if Hyunbin has a pattern that might show where he'll attack next."

"That's a good idea." I said reluctantly.

She turned to me, her expression bitter. "Tell me, do you rent or own?"

"Humans have no idea we're hurting you. Maybe if elves didn't skulk around, we'd be able to work something out." I shot back.

"We tried that. It didn't work. Nothing works when it comes to you people." She turned to Jungkook and pointed to the monitor. "Is there a way to take this picture with me?"

I answered her, still seething. "These terminals aren't hooked up to a printer. Send me the link and I'll print it out."

She didn't look at me. "What is she talking about?"

I put a hand on her arm and pushed her firmly aside. "Excuse me." The screen showed a topographical map. It took only seconds to e-mail the link to my own account. My smugness evaporated as I realized she would now be coming to my house for the printout.

Saeron managed to crowd me without actually touching me. "There are some others I want, if you will move."

I stood firm. "Just tell me how to get there and I'll e-mail them."

"I watch you do it." She put her shoulder against mine and applied pressure.

"I can do it faster." I pushed back.

We engaged in a brief, silent struggle, which ended when I suddenly stepped back. Saeron lurched sideways and wound up at the next terminal over, where she picked up the mouse as if nothing had happened.

"I'll just wait for you downstairs, shall I?" I smiled brightly at Jungkook's dazed expression.

Once downstairs, I plopped onto the edge of the library's fountain and stared at the coins shining on the bottom.

"Haughty bitch." I murmured.

I rummaged through my purse for some coins. "I hope Saeron fails spectacularly and they never find Hyunbin." The penny I threw hit the water with a soft plop, and I immediately felt terrible—not that I believed in this kind of thing.

I looked at the coin in my hand. There were no more pennies. Sighing, I picked out a dime. "I hope Saeron finds Hyunbin, they get rid of him, and Jungkook gets his land back." It was all I could do not to burst into tears while saying the last part, and I threw the coin with more force than was absolutely necessary. Of course I wanted Hyunbin to stop hurting elves, but why did Jungkook have to leave if I could give him what he needed? A few minutes later, Jungkook and Saeron descended the stairs.

"Do you need something to eat?" Jungkook asked me.

"I'll eat at home. Saeron, why don't you come over? I'll print those maps for you." I would show Jungkook who was the better.

"Fine." She said.

Jungkook linked his arm through mine as we walked through the automatic doors. I squeezed it, grateful for his show of support.

When we reached my car, Saeron looked at it suspiciously. "I suppose I will ride with you this time, since I don't know where you live."

"How else would you get there?" I asked.

"We normally travel incorporeally." Jungkook opened the back door and got in. "I can't do it right now, since I'm not linked to the land." He added.

"Traveling is not necessary or desirable anyway." Saeron said. "An elf's place is on her property." She sat in the front seat and looked at the car door as if expecting it to close on its own. After a moment she reached over and pulled it shut. "With Hyunbin on the loose, the less I'm home, the more I am at risk." She said.

"I appreciate what you're doing for Jungkook and the other elves." I said.

"Why do you care?" She asked.

Jungkook shifted, and I heard his foot kick the back of Saeron's seat.

She cleared her throat. "I mean, that's very kind of you."

_________🐥❤🐰__________

A/N:

Someone's jealous.😏

Happy Birthday Bunny! Jeon Jungkook our Golden Maknae🎂

Enjoy!

Don't forget to vote and comments

Borahae💜💜💜💜💜💜💜