Little Sister

When I was 3, mother had found love with another man. His name was Josiah Schecter. He had a sharp nose, strange purple eyes, pale skin, and short blonde hair. While he was not a fighter, his brain couldn't be easily defeated. I respected him for that, so did grandfather.

By the time I reached age 5, they were married, and I had a little sister. Her name was Arya. She had received darker skin like me, purple eyes, brown hair, and the biggest smile.

Unlike me, mother hadn't started training Arya at a young age. She had somehow convinced Grandfather to wait until she was a little older. I was completely fine with that.

Arya and I had became close quick. When I wasn't training, or on missions, her and I would never leave each others side.

At first I was uncomfortable. I was trained to take lives, not care for them. It took me a while to hold her, and even longer to relax around her. Eventually (with the help of Josiah), we had became inseparable. Josiah found it cute, mother hated it.

Mother didn't love me, she didn't even birth me. I was a necessity to her. She needed me to help grandfather's plans. Mother loved Arya, she birthed Arya. Mother smiled at Arya, sung to her a night, gushed about her, treated her like a child.

Mother was a jealous person. When I had became close to a servant woman, she hated it. I had been showed affection by a motherly figure, and she made me kill her.

So when Arya and I had became close, she wasn't happy. Thankfully, Josiah was able to calm her down. The next day I was informed, he told her since I was close to Arya, I can protect her, keep her safe.

Arya felt safest by my side. While she never said this, I knew. Whenever she felt scared, she ran to me. I had no issues with this, Arya is a normal child.

We spent a lot of time in the garden, specifically with the green roses. I never understood why. That is until she was 4, and I was 9.

I had asked her what her favorite flower was and why. I knew the answer, to the first question, but I asked anyways.

"Green roses, they are like your eyes." She replied.

I smiled. She is the only one who will ever see me smile.

When I was 10, I had just came home from a mission. I was tired, no exhausted. I had decided, not to visit Arya's room, I'll see her in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes closed the moment I laid down.

As quickly as they closed, my eyes had opened. I heard footsteps outside my door. They were light and unfamiliar. I grabbed my katana, and quietly leave my room.

Looking around no one was there, but I still felt uneasy. I knew Mother and Josiah will be fine, so I quickly made my way towards Arya's room.

"Damian what are you doing?" I turned to see mother behind me.

"Mother, was that you walking outside my door?" It couldn't have been her. Mother's footsteps, are elegant and soft. Those steps were light but, hard, as if tiptoeing around.

"No." Was all she said before going on high alert. "Go to Arya."

At night, while we are sleeping, no one is allowed to walk around in our sleeping quarters. Mother and I are easily awakened, so the steps will interrupt our sleep.

I pick up my pace, to my sister. Opening the door to check on her.

The moment my eyes land on my sister, my heart dropped. There before me, the beautiful recently turned, five year old laid. Blood covering her cute pink pajama dress, dried tears going down her face, her throat slashed.