𝗗𝗡𝗔

Warning: contains pseudo-incest, mentions of abuse, and depictions of violence
Song: DNA by Lia Marie Johnson

• • •

In life everything has consequences and she knew that but she didn't think the consequences of this would be so awful. So terrifying. She lay in the hospital knowing that no one would come for her. Not after what she did. She hurt them as much as they hurt her and it'll never end because they will always hate her. It's a cycle that repeats over and over and over. And it's sickening. She doesn't know what to do.

She sinks into the bed and closed her eyes, hoping that when she opens them that everything will be fine. It would have just been a horrible nightmare. Of course it wouldn't end up like that. Of course she would wake up hours later to see a dark figure pacing back and forth in her room. She groaned involuntary when she tried move away from them.

"Vanya?" they asked. Their voice was so familiar, as strained as it was, but she couldn't place it. She didn't even have a face to put it to, they were hidden perfectly in the shadows. She was hopped up on medication and she was so tired, she couldn't really be blamed for her confusion. And fear. There seemed to be a lot of that going around. "Are you okay?"

She shouldn't have answered, she doesn't know them. "I'm fine." They examined her closely, still hidden in the darkness. After a minute they seemed to have agreed with her assessment.

"Good." They stepped into the light so she could see them. She wished she hadn't. She wished she wasn't looking into those familiar eyes filled with familiar rage. And his scar. That scar brought up so many memories, good and bad. She turned away. "Why didn't you call me?" he demanded. She wanted the Earth to swallow her whole. He spoke with such anger. Diego was never violent with her but still, she was scared. She hadn't seen him since she left the Academy but she knew he would absolutely despise her for what she did. She knew he would hate her more than the others because of everything they went through.

"Was I supposed to?" she asked, confused. It's not like he actually cared. Why would he? No one else did. It's not like he is any different. Maybe once, and she still had a hard time believing that was true too, but now he has no reason to. She laid out all of his dirty laundry.

"Of course! Damnit, Vanya, I—" he stopped speaking. He didn't know what to say. What could he say? There she was, in pain as he couldn't do a damn thing about it. He wanted to get the person that did this but he also wanted to be by her side every second she was awake. He should have paid more attention to her, looked out for her, feelings be damned. It shouldn't matter that he was upset with her, she was someone he was supposed to protect at all costs and he didn't. He failed.

"Don't do that," she whispered, looking away. He sounded like he cared but it wasn't real, she knew that. He sat down in the chair beside her bed and pulled it closer. He placed his hands on the bed, looking a little closer at her black eyes, her split lips, her bruised cheeks. A fire he knew quite well raged inside him, begging to be let out.

"Don't do what?" His voice was a little softer, making Vanya's stomach churn. Why was he doing this? Did he want torture her?

"Pretend like you care." Her voice cracked as she spoke, causing his heart to clench. She was in so much pain . . . and a lot of it was his fault.

"The hell is that supposed to mean?" He should keep his voice down.

"You hate me." She looked back at him with tears in her eyes, threatening to spill over. Her bottom lip quivered as she tried to hold it back.

"I am not pretending, V. I will always care about you." He didn't want to tell her that he didn't hate her because he wasn't sure if that was the case.