Two: Dean

"I'm sorry for your loss."

 "You didn't deserve this."

 "I'm so sorry." 

"It shouldn't have ended this way."

That's all I heard today. They could have gone on and on. Half of them were the same and deep down I know they meant it but deep down I didn't want to hear it. They could have given me their deepest condolences and the biggest teddy bear in the world with the freshest mourning flowers and still, it would do nothing.

Yeah, I was hurt but dying is just a fact of life. But it's horrible when you must inherit the title of Alpha from your deceased father.

"Now what?" my younger brother, Seth asked, "What are you going to do?"

I ruffled his hair and looked into his big brown eyes. "I'm going to accept Alpha and rule the school."

Seth didn't seem too supportive of the idea. "It's what has to be done or we won't survive. This is for the best."

The funeral wasn't held in a church but instead in a field. A large field filled with flowers and other werewolves. My mother was sitting in a chair just staring off into space still not believing her husband was dead. Family and friends consoled her but that would do nothing. There was a priest. He did give prayer but no one here was deeply religious.

Catherine read his eulogy and again gave her condolences to our family. I was surprised she cried. She's never cried before.

It was a hit and run. He was killed on the spot. They never found the car and it killed me my dad was going to die in vain and just leave the pack to me. He died letting me take control of his pack and then having me come to his funeral in a black suit. Jerk. He could have been cruel but no matter what happens I'll always miss him.

His casket was smack in the middle of all this green. A mahogany casket that my brother especially picked out.

The beautiful mahogany brought out the pale in my father's cold dead flesh. His skin is white, his lips gray.

The casket was closed from the waist down. A large bouquet of flower laid on a stool near him.

The clouds were gray like his skin and I'm sure it was supposed to rain. And guess what it decided to rain. Lightly and softly it came down. My shoulder and head got damp as I watched it come down. I didn't care. I decided to take the seat next to my mother. She was muttering something lightly and kind of staring into space. The seat next to her was wet but I didn't care if my butt got wet. I leaned my damp head on her shoulder. She put a hand on my head. She had on a black pantsuit. My mother kept muttering and a tear had slid down her cheek.

"It'll be okay," she repeatedly muttered.

I said the same thing to her. She hugged me tighter.

The priest had told us all to stand. I held mom's hand as we stood. He said a few more words and as if on cue every person there even the children threw back their heads and howled to the mourning sky.

Afterwards, my throat was raw. I left my mother and brother cry on my shoulder. Sel had arranged an after party. There were varieties of meat and bread and cakes. It was all so lovely. They had a plate already set for me with a slab of pork chop, curried steak, and smoked ham with yellow rice piled high with beans. There was a soft dinner roll set aside on another plate because it didn't fit on my plate. Apparently, they wanted to fatten me up for Alpha position. Nice. What a joy.

The chair was set at the end of the table. I sat there. My mother at my left and my brother to my right. The chair was cold. Like I didn't belong here.

Everyone stared at me expectantly. I didn't know what to say.

Sel had quickly walked towards me. She hustled in her too high heels. I swear to God she would have broken an ankle if she walked any faster.

She looked worried. "What is it?" I asked her.

She leaned down in her tight black dress. She glances back at all the other wolves then back at me. "It's the alpha of the Frieden pack."

I looked at her carefully. Her hair was slicked back and curled. "What is it?"

"He has been murdered," she said looking at me intensely.