17. Ms. Neighbour - Part 7

"You want any help?", I walked over the kitchen.

"Yah with me and Darshan around I will ask you for a help in cooking. Sorry I don't wanna serve burn dishes to my guests.", Manaav said wiping his hands on his apron.

"Rude.", I rolled my eyes and faked an anger.

"I will deal with your anger later. Right now I need to pee.", he untied his apron and ran to the washroom. I nodded my head negatively and glanced at the counters that were covered with dishes of varying sizes and shapes. I picked up one of the lids and peaked inside. Matar Paneer.

Oh dear!

I looked for a spoon around and saw one near the oven. I took that up, wiped that with my fingers then dug into the paneer which was staring at me. I closed my eyes as that melted in my mouth.

"Your face is showing the expression of extreme pleasure.", Darshan's voice came. I spotted him leaning against the doorframe, arms folded across his chest, smile playing on his lips as he had caught me red handed. I finished the food and plucked another piece of paneer and stuffed it in my mouth.

"It's delicious.", I managed to say in between.

"You're not supposed to eat it before the dinner.", he said.

"I am just testing it."

"No you are literally finishing it."
I was about to pick up another piece of paneer when Darshan walked to me and said, "No no.", he removed my hand from the counter. "Stop roaming around my kitchen."

"Last time when I checked it was my kitchen. But then you hijacked it."

"Yah and this hijacker is also paying the rent.", he informed. "You know what we should split up the rent."
I narrowed my eyes.

"Because you are spending time in this house as much as I am."

"Are you indirectly telling me to not come anymore?"

"That wasn't what I meant. Forget it."
He turned to leave when I said, "Don't give me that 'you-are-dumb' look."
"You are."

"Shut up."

*

I helped Darshan in cleaning the kitchen and washing the dishes after our dinner. My father was sitting on the sofa starching his legs. I couldn't see my mother around. She must be in Darshan's room.

God knows what else she is trying to search in there which belongs to me. Maa you won't find anything anymore. I hope so.

Darshan gave me a small bowl, "Give it to your father."'

"What is it?", I asked.

"Desert."

"He has diabetes.", I informed.

"Yah I know. It's sugar free."

"God. Why are you trying so hard? My brother has a girlfriend.", I took that from his and walked to my father.

Manaav and my father was again having some conversation. But as I walked to them they stopped talking and looked at me. I handed my father the bowl and turned around. I knew they would start talking as soon I would leave.

What are they even talking about?

I stood in a distance and tried to hear. Suddenly my father took out a packet and gave that to Maanav but he nodded a no and gave that back to my father. I took few steps forward. I heard my father saying, "Maanav take it. It's my responsibly to give you this. I know her salary is not that great so you will need it. Please accept it."