6. My Family

It was now the end of August. That meant summer break is coming toward its last day. School would begin a week from now, but I could honestly use another week or two, or maybe a month more. On top of the fact things have been fairly uneventful since we came home. It was boring as all hell—well, as boring as hell can be.

Until Neji sent our group chat—Sidon was the other one in it of course—a frantic text about an emergency. Sidon was just as quick to respond. We were to meet at the diner. I really didn't want to do anything, but I thought maybe it's finally time to go outside, get some fresh air, maybe soak up some sun. So I forced myself to trudge outside.

Although...

I stared at Neji with an incredulous look. "Y-you called us... Because you didn't do your summer work?" He slowly nodded. "Two months... Two!"

Neji pouted. "C'mon, don't be like that. I could really use some help from my senpais!" He folded his hands together. "Please!"

I stood there silently with a hand to my forehead. I'm not gonna lie, I was genuinely worried when he called us for an emergency of some kind. Of all the things I expected, I'm not even sure why this wasn't one of them. Hell, even Sidon was in disbelief so you know it's straight asinine.

"You didn't start on any of your work at all?" Sidon asked. Neji shook his head. "Did you even look at what you have to do?" Again, he shook his head.

Somehow, I saw this coming. I buried my face into my hand and let out a sigh. "Neji, you have to be kidding me." I paused and spoke through my clenched teeth. "Ugh, fine. Let's get started.

Neji's face immediately brightened and he began nodding profusely. "Oh man, thankyouthankyouthankyou...!"

"Okay, okay! That's enough!" I said. This was gonna be a long day.

It turned out in the end, all our efforts were for naught. Neji wasn't even willing to do work. He just ordered lunch and napped for half an hour before complaining for another half hour before we actually started. Honestly, I've never seen Sidon look so frustrated. He was clearly rying to hid it, but he tugged on his bangs here and there.

When we'd finally given up, it was about three in the afternoon. Neji of course yelled, "Sweet release!" even though we didn't actually do crap. As I was headed home I ran into Zelda. I was surprised to run into her out here of all places in the city. She seemed just as surprised.

"Fancy meeting you here, Zelda," I said. "Where've you been?"

"Same goes for you. Agitha wanted our help because she put off her summer assignments," she said. Huh, wow, talk about total coincidence. "Honestly, we've hardly accomplished anything since this morning." She sighed, pressing her fingers against her forehead. She looked back at me. "What?"

"Huh?" I realized I must've been staring. "Oh, ah... Well, talk about coincidence, Neji called Sidon and I because he put off his summer work too, and we hardly did crap."

"Is that so."

Then there was silence between us for the next few minutes or so? It really did feel like minutes. We were waiting for the other to say something, but the situation became so awkward it felt embarrassing to say anything.

Actually, now that I thought about it, this is one of the few times we've conversed for what it's worth. It's not like it's rare for us to interact. Like I've mentioned at some point before she'd occasionally check on me, offer help with schoolwork and the like. Sometimes when she would go to leave me alone, I notice she'd sometimes pensively stare off. I couldn't help but notice this every time she did it. I mean, she literally stands in the doorway staring into Narnia for thirty seconds before leaving with a frustrated sigh or a slight shake of her head.

Here she was doing it again. Her brows were knit tightly together as she twiddled some strands of her hair between her fingers.

"You're doing it again," I said. She snapped out of her stupor, staring at me dumbfounded.

"Doing what again?" she slowly asked.

She was acting a really damn fidgety. It didn't help that she was now twiddling her thumbs behind her back. It was pretty cute, but what the hell was up in her mind? I might've be a damn hypocrite for this, but I wanted to know what's up in Zelda's world.

"That thing, y'know, when you're thinking like that just as your doing now?"

Her face flushed. "Oh, um... That..."

Gottem, but I didn't push further than that.

"Relax, I'm not gonna force you to say anything. Just remember that if you have something on your mind you can tell me."

I found myself recollecting what Neji and Sidon said a month back. Honestly, that was most definitely one of the most impactful things. Now that I thought about it, I don't think I'd be here doing this if that hadn't happen. It seems that good does come from the worst of things after all, as if the immediate aftermath of my explosion wasn't any good in the first place. It helped me come to a realization of what I've been missing out the most on.

Usually I minded my own business and the people around me minded their own. To think I'd change this much in just a short few months. I love them, they're my family. It's really funny; I doubt the past me before he came here would ever believe what was in store for him. I gotta admit, I don't give Neji and Sidon enough credit.

He slowly got up and took deep breaths. With a shaky voice he said, "You don't have to tell us anything, dude." Then his gaze hardened. "But I wanna tell you that you're damn wrong!"

I took a step back. "Huh?"

He put his hand to his chest. "We may not be related by blood, but we're family y'know! I now realize I've been a pain in the ass, so I'll show you that Sidon and I can be the best damn family you can have!"

Sidon piped up. "He's right. You may not have your biological family anymore, but just know we'll be there for you. Zelda too. She's one of the most responsible, most caring people in all existence. I'm sure she's been there for you."

Where would I be if I hadn't met them? If Zelda's dad didn't take me in? Actually, why did he take me in anyway?

I realized I was standing there idly as Zelda watched me intently. I started to feel hot, not too dissimilar to when Neji and Sidon hounded me back in the hot spring. I hated it.

"Well, uh... If I'm gonna be living in your home like I'm family, then I may as well try to be a part of the family. How's that sound?" I was scratching the back of my head.

She put a finger up to her chin in brief thought before flashing a pleasant smile at me. "That... That sounds really nice actually." She gave a firm nod. "Yes, that sounds good."

It really did and I'm happy she agreed. Where would I be if the circumstances were different?

A/N: *GASP* Link trying to bond with people on his own??? Character development??? Awesome!!!

Okay, enough of the dumb talk it's about time I updated huh? Just about halfway there...

Remember to vote and maybe comment dogflgzlgzidhlzqlckgqzlgzaoy

Chicken nuggets