7. To the Beat

Like I've mentioned before, I like music, but who doesn't? School is back in full swing, but I'm sure you don't wanna hear about all that boring stuff. The usual ninety to hundred degrees— Fahrenheit if you want to get specific —calmed down to a nice, chill sixty degrees. The end of September was approaching and the leaves were starting to lose their green hue. Pretty soon, the streets are going to be festooned with multicolored leaves.

Did I ever mention fall is my favorite season? Fall's not too hot not too cold, it's perfectly balanced, as all things should be. Spring is considered to be real pretty, summer too, but people don't give the color seasons much credit. Yeah leaves get all over the place and snow can be miserable and turn into a gray mush after a while, but I find it all pretty.

Also, I get to wear comfortable sweaters which is exactly what I'm wearing right at this moment, a green sweater.

I had promised Neji and Sidon to go to the usual diner so we could study together. I was going ahead of them since they both said they had something to do though it wouldn't take either of them very long. As I was walking there I was listening to music, when all of a sudden the song of some anime opening I heard around Neji blared into my ears. I groaned, realizing it was another one of Neji's jokes. The little bastard somehow downloaded his personal playlist onto my phone.

Holy crap, there was practically a terabyte of shit on my phone.

When I stopped the song my ears filled with a different type of music. I looked up and saw a street performer playing a saxophone. His case had a few rupees scattered in it. It was unexpected, but I stood there and listened. Quite frankly, it sounded good. Like really damn good. Before I even realized it, I was tapping my foot to the rhythm. I managed to catch his eyes flicker toward me before looking forward again. He never changed the song or his pace.

By the time he was done, he pulled it away from his mouth and turned his full attention toward me. Maybe he was expecting money? I mean, there's nothing wrong with that guess, it was pretty damn good, but my stomach dropped when I realized I wouldn't be left with anything to buy food with.

"Well then, it's been awhile I've had someone listen to me so intently," he said suddenly. Confusion slapped me straight across the face as I let out a cracked "huh?" He chuckled and heat slowly crept up in me. "What's your name, son?"

And confusion has now straight up drop kicked me in the face.

"Oh, um... Link. Link Forrestor, sir," I said. He reached his hand out and I took it as a sign to shake.

"Link, huh? That's quite a unique name to be completely honest. Though then again, my name isn't really something you'd hear around these parts. It's Kass, son."

Well, he definitely wasn't lying, but then again, I guess Link isn't a popular name is it. And now that I think about it, my friends and I don't really have normal names, do we?

"It's uh, nice to meet you, Kass."

"Likewise, Link. Now tell me, what about music captivates you?"

A strange question for sure—more sudden really—but I thought about it. Why did I listen to music?

I never thought there was a particular reason. Like I've said, I just listened to whatever the hell I wanted to when I felt like it. I was a lonely kid, I'm sure that's been drilled into you already, and I had nothing to do. No way to relate to others. I mean, music is an interest that can be shared, but I never really did that. It was something I kept close to myself, something I'd do by myself.

"I'm not really sure," I finally answered.

Kass stroked his chin, thinking pensively before responding. "I wouldn't say that's a wrong answer, not that there is one. Plenty of people do things and they never think about why."

I rubbed the back of my neck. "I mean, I guess that's accurate... I just listen to music cuz I do, nothing more," I said with a shrug.

"But do you like listening to music?"

"Well... Yeah..."

Kass slowly nodded as if to give me a little nudge forward, so I though about it. It was so damn simple, but it kind of made me think. Now that I thought about it, I listened to music pretty much all the time to occupy myself. I still listen to it whenever I go on walks or when I'm alone. But I can't whenever I'm around my friends and even at home when we call each other. I just don't have the time to. Sometimes I just don't feel like listening to music as often.

Hylia, I need to get a hobby, don't I?

"Well, I really listened to music to occupy myself. I mean, I like music, but I never really interacted with others." I saw I had Kass' attention so I continued. "But because of that I don't think I've had much of an incentive to listen to music." To be honest, it felt rather nice saying that. "I still do enjoy music but..."

It must've shown because Kass smiled as if he understood exactly what I meant. "Sounds like you're doing well then, but I believe music brings people together, so it's a bit humorous to say. Maybe the goddesses decided to compensate your time in music with friends?"

Maybe... Just maybe. We shared a laugh, ignoring the passersby giving us odd looks. I didn't mind, it felt pretty good.

"Yo! Rinku-san!"

I'm pretty sure my eyes had involuntarily rolled there. I didn't mind the nickname too much, but he's been getting overzealous. There they were, my two buddies Neji and Sidon.

"Ah, hey guys."

"Oh? Friends of yours are they?" Kass asked to which I nodded. His smile broadened. "They seem like a good bunch."

Wouldn't he like to know... But we were beyond past that. There was no point in bringing that back up. I sure as hell don't like to admit it, but we've sort of become tight-knit.

"If you have plans I won't keep holding you, but please do stop by to listen again."

I nodded toward him before departing with my friends, one of whom kept bugging me about Kass. I don't think his name needs to be said. While he was running his mouth I took a quick glance back to see Kass carrying on, playing his music as he always did.

I decided that's what I'll keep on doing, moving forward to my own beat.

A/N: Man... This took way too long, but here it is! I swear the longer I take on a chapter the more unsure I feel about it... Atop of that I've been working on other things. I'll try to work on this in a more consistent manner. We're just over halfway in at this point.