3

You were standing in a circle with about twenty other confused students just outside the building on a flat plane of ground. The professor who'd introduced herself as Madam Rolanda Hooch stood in the centre, waving about a neatly made broom as she went through the rules of flying.

"Feet on the ground, lean forward and kick off." She said firmly, gesturing with every word that she said.

Unfortunately, Maple had a different class to you so you had no-one to make snarky remarks about the other students to.

"Okay," Madam Hooch continued, "Now hold your hand over the broom and say firmly 'UP', ok?"

A chorus of loud "UP!"s started as the brooms scattered across the floor started rolling around. You looked round the circle, seeing Hermione Granger instantly catching her broom and standing proudly. The ginger boy next to her wasn't quite so lucky though, getting hit in the face as he missed the handle for the third time. You looked over to Draco, seeing him struggle a small bit before looking around sketchily and picking it up off the floor.

You rolled your eyes, turning to your own broomstick and saying, "Up." The broom sprang up, hitting the palm of your hand as you smugly caught it, looking back to see the majority of the class still struggling.

When everyone was holding their broomsticks Madam Hooch repeated what she said. "Feet on the ground, lean forward and kick off."

It was hilarious watching everyone try to do this. Multiple over-cocky students fell flat on their face the second they got in the air, others managed to hover for a second before coming back down. One boy, however, seemed to be abed to effortlessly fly around. Of course it was Draco; he'd definitely ridden a broomstick before, probably because his parents didn't want him to embarrass him, and by proxy the family name, by flapping around in the air.

Madam Hooch suddenly made an announcement. "I need to leave for a moment. No flying too high, fighting or trying to impress people, unless you want detention, understand?"

A mutter of 'understand.' Sounded as she strode away, muttering something about a wand to herself as she stared at the floor.

The second she left Malfoy zoomed into the sky, flying a good ten meters above everyone else, watching them fail with a smug expression on his face. Dickhead.

You decided to switch from observing, mounting the broomstick and taking in a breath, ignoring the buzzing anxiety in your chest. You exhaled, pushing off from the ground and leaning forward. You were shocked to find yourself levitating, not face first in the dirt, as you rose, chuckling as a couple of students watched you in awe.

You should've come back down, waited for the teacher to come back, but as usual your ambition blocked out all logical thought. You looked up at Draco, who was doing loops in the air with a sickeningly smug look on his face, and decided to take his ego down a notch.

You gripped the front of the broom, steadying yourself as you leaned forward, rising fast. You made eye contact with Draco as you hovered level with him, smiling smugly as you did your best to look nonchalant, not like you quite literally terrified for your life. He scowled at you, snarling as she slowly clapped his hands.

"Bravo." His tone was low and mocking, and it made you want to push him off the broomstick.

You laughed, rolling your eyes at his fragile masculinity. "Feeling threatened?"

"Not in the slightest." He lied, flying dangerously close by you as he went higher, presumably trying to initiate a fight to see who'd pussy out first.

You followed him, hovering about thirty meters off the ground as you matched his bet. You waved at him, earning a scoff as he looked down, to see the whole class staring up at the two of you and gossiping between them. You glanced at them, returning to looking at your rival and ignoring how fucking high you were, and pushing the pending threat of certain death to the back of your mind, unwilling to loose whatever duel was taking place.