10

You stood with the rest of the Slytherin team, huddle in a circle as the team captain Marcus Flint gave what was one of the worst pep-talks you'd ever received, which pretty much consisted of 'If you're losing, don't.' which wasn't particularly helpful.

You were going up against Hufflepuff, and it was your first game as a seeker, the nerves making your hands shake slightly as you kept them strapped onto the scarred wood of your broomstick.

Marcus stopped jabbering as he locked eyes on your broom, looking up at you disappointed. "Really? You're going out on that?" He nodded towards your broom.

"It's the only broom I have." Draco was still to proud to admit that he should probably balance out the team and get you one.

Marcus grunted, looking around exasperatedly at the other players. He looked at a tall boy to your left, pointing at his broom. "You. You're shit—swap brooms with her."

The boy made no objections, handing you his broomstick as he snatched yours. You looked over to Draco, who was shooting you an annoyed look.

The whistle blew and the gate opened, shedding the harsh light on the team as they all flew out, dramatically taking their positions.

Draco stood next to you, mounting his broom as he nudged you in the arm. "Now remember; when you fuck this up, try not to cry too hard, don't want to embarrass yourself."

You scowled at him, stepping over your newly acquired nimbus 2001 and leaning forward. "Break a leg." You said to him with a smile, before dropping your face into a scowl. "Literally."

You flew out to join the rest of the team, hovering in your position as you waited for the golden snitch to be released. You fixed your eyes on Hufflepuffs seeker, Cedric Diggory, as you made eye contact, getting a smirk back. You nodded your head to him, signalling good luck, before you heard a shout, and a whistle, and the glimmer of the golden snitch swerving to the air.

You once again underestimated the speed of the broomstick you were on, only having any real experience on the old, clunky school ones, and you almost got knocked off it by the force of the kickback, but you held on, determined to win.

The snitch went straight up for a second, then down, then left, right, left, left, right, down...

It was much faster than it was in the practise matches, and every time it switched directions you were almost tipped off the broom, but you held on for dear life as you chased it round the arena, Diggory flying next to you.

You were following it quite well when you heard a swift 'shhh' coming towards you, and a hurried "Watch out!" coming from one of your teammates. You turned your head just in time to see a bludger flying at your head. You dodged it, barely, quickly regaining speed on the snitch, which was now headed in the opposite direction. You heard cheers in the background as someone scored a goal, but you couldn't afford to be distracted by it; you one job was to catch the shiny golden bastard that would win you this match.

You continued chasing it, rivalling Diggory as he followed suit, for a few minutes, successfully staying on the broom the whole time. You were neck-and-neck with Cedric, only a few inches away form the snitch when another bludger speeding towards you. You ducked, narrowly avoiding it as is whooshed past your ear. The ball hit the front of Cedrics broom, spinning him out of control and setting him back a considerable amount as you continued your pursuit, gaining on the snitch fast. You reached out, your fingertips practically grazing the smooth gold that covered the ball, leaning forward.

You heard a shout from behind you, glancing back to see one of the beaters on the Hufflepuff team hit a bludger into Malfoys shoulder, spinning him round and pushing him off his broom. He almost fell, holding on with one hand as he tried to pull himself up. You turned back to the snitch, considering your options.