Chapter Seven: Déjà Vu

Callum's apartment building was only a few blocks away from the bar, so we walked together enjoying the night air and exchanging sweet kisses at every few stoplights.

"This is me." He led me into an apartment building and when he pressed the button for the elevator, a set of doors opened for us instantly.

He pulled me into the elevator and after he pressed the button for this floor, he scooped me up into his arms, leaning me against the elevator wall. I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and brought my legs around his hips, feeling his hands cup my ass for support - and likely an extra feel.

"So...bringing me home...to 'talk' huh?" I joked between kisses.

"I promise we will. The exact percentage of time spent talking is entirely up to you." He ran his nose around my neck before trailing kisses and I sighed blissfully.

Where did he come from? And why was he into me?

Once the elevator stopped at his floor, he set me down and let me out, fishing for his keys in his pocket, nervously trying to open the door.

"Sorry, this place is still pretty new to me. And a certain someone is making it hard to concentrate." He peeked back at me bashfully.

"Just let me know if you want any help." I crossed my arms in front of my chest to hide the display of very perky nipples through my bralette, just in case any of his neighbors stepped out.

He finally opened the door seconds later and pulled me in.

I stared in awe at the luxurious modern apartment living room in front of me

I stared in awe at the luxurious modern apartment living room in front of me. "Callum...your place is amazing."

He shrugged and set his keys down on the counter. "Thanks. I inherited it actually." A flash of sorrow briefly appeared on his face. "Can I get you anything? More water? A drink?"

I stepped gingerly further into the apartment, studying the decor as he walked into the kitchen. "What do you have?"

He gestured to a small liquor collection in the corner of the kitchen. "Mostly a wide variety of whiskeys... Some I brought with, some I also inherited."

"Water for me then. Sorry if it's a deal breaker...that I don't like whiskey?" I leaned against the fridge and watched him prepare our drinks.

He looked up with a mischievous grin. "More for me. As long as you don't mind how it tastes on my lips?"

I laughed in relief. "I think I'll survive."

He handed me a tumbler with water, then took my hand and led me to the couch. "So as promised, what do you want to talk about?" He took a sip of his drink and rested his free hand on my thigh.

I rested an elbow on the back of the couch and held my head in my hand, completely mesmerized by this man. I took a deep breath to try to calm down my racing pulse and thoughts. "I'm not a one-night stand type of girl... So I guess I just want to know who you are before we go any further."

He chuckled and took another sip of his drink. "That's a very broad statement. How much do you want to know?"

I blushed and averted my gaze, feeling silly. I was ruining this, wasn't I? "I'm sorry, I just am pretty nervous about how quickly this is going-"

He took his hand off my thigh and gently tipped my chin up to look at him. "Don't be sorry, I didn't mean to tease." He gazed for a long moment into my eyes. "I'm not looking for anything casual either if that is the first thing you wanted to know?"

I nodded, melting into his touch. There was something so magnetic and familiar about him. I couldn't place my finger on it.

"I have an idea." He leaned back, releasing his touch on me. "Why don't we re-introduce ourselves? I don't think we got a proper introduction in all the chaos earlier this week."

I sat up and smiled. "That sounds like a great idea."

"Ladies first." He gestured at me and took another sip of his drink.

I took a deep breath and began my introduction. "I'm Elodie Martin, an editor at Metropolitan Post."

"Hi Elodie, nice to meet you." He extended his hand to shake mine with a little laugh. "I'm Callum Bowen. I'm 30 and just moved back here." He winked at me devilishly. "Is it bad manners for me to get your age?"

I sat for a moment, processing his introduction.

That last name. It was the same as Wesley's. Could they be related? Or was it all a strange coincidence.

"Um, no - I'm 28," I finally managed to answer him and took a large gulp of my water. I was definitely overthinking this.

I took a deep breath and decided to be brave and ask what I was thinking. It would hopefully give me peace of mind. "I'm an only child... Do you have any siblings?"

He looked into his glass, with the same pained expression as earlier.

Oh no.

"I had a younger brother. He passed away suddenly earlier in the year." He gestured in front of us. "This place was his actually."

I brought my hands up to my face, instantly regretting what I did. "I'm so sorry..."

"No, it's ok. We had grown apart as we got older. I felt I didn't really know him as much as I used to." Callum sank back into the couch, lost in thought for a long moment. "That's actually a big reason why I applied for a job at Metropolitan Post."

I felt my mouth go dry. "Why's that?" I forced myself to ask.

"He was published in a few issues - really raved about working with the editorial staff there. I guess I wanted to maybe find some people who had worked with him, make up for lost time?" His gaze was lost in his glass and he rubbed a hand over his scruff. "I'm sorry, Elodie, I didn't want to make you feel taken advantage of. I was hoping to talk to some editors, but when I met you, I was so taken by surprise." He looked up, guilt plain on his face. "I hope you don't feel like I'm using you."

I stared at him, lost for words.

He was apologizing to me for making me feel used?

I was the one who had some messed up sex dream about his brother. I wanted to melt into the couch and disappear.

"I don't." I finally managed to breathe out a few words. I set my tumbler down and stood up, pacing. What had I done?

"Elodie? Are you ok?" Callum sat up, watching me with wide eyes. "Was it something I said?"

I paused and closed my eyes. This freaking fortune was making a mess of me.

"No. I just... think I should go home. I feel pretty sick. I'm so sorry." I pressed my hand to my forehead for effect.

Callum almost leapt off of the couch and took my free hand. "Let me get you an Uber, it'll be downstairs for you in a minute."

"Thanks." I timidly pulled my hand away and walked towards the front door.

"Elodie, wait-"

I paused with my hand on the doorknob, unable to bring myself to look at him. "It's not your fault."

And with that, I left.