Chapter Eleven: Game Night

One Year Later

It was our turn to host game night this week. We had just moved into our new apartment and barely anything was unpacked.

However, we had all of the games ready, and I was making a family-sized batch of shrimp scampi and garlic bread.

Callum wrapped his arms around me and kissed the side of my head while I worked at the stove. "I never get tired of eating that... Or you." He joked with a hint of a sexy growl in my ear.

"Stop!" I batted him away with an oven mitt. "Everyone will be here in a few minutes."

He backed off and frowned. "Fine, fine. Good thing we 'christened' all the surfaces earlier..."

"You're too much..." I muttered with a blush on my cheeks as I finished stirring the pasta.

I heard my phone chime with a text alert. "Can you let them up? I just need to transfer this to a serving dish."

He gave me a little mock salute and went to the call box to let up our guests. Moments later, he opened the door in reply to a quick knock.

"Hi, guys!" Val greeted us. She and Josh entered with a paper grocery bag of snacks and a six-pack of beer.

"Hey, man. How's the new job treating you?" He gave Callum a handshake and they pulled each other into a bro hug. At least it worked out perfectly that my best friend's boyfriend was in a bromance with mine. Sometimes it was a little too perfect...

"Yeah, I mean I miss the office and the co-workers. But it's time to get back to the grind."

Val strode up to me as I finished on the main dish. "So, how's the first week of living together?" She looked at me expectantly, unloading the snacks from the grocery bag onto the counter.

With my raise and promotion, coupled with Callum's new job, we were able to afford a much nicer place than I expected. But of course, it also made our free time together much more sparse.

"It's been really nice. Unpacking has been slow though..."

"I bet." Val winked at me and opened a bag of chips, grabbing a handful to snack on.

"Hey! I cooked this big dinner per your request..." I put my hands on my hips and shook my head at her.

"Oh, I'll still have room," she assured me.

Our call box buzzed, followed by Naomi's voice through the intercom. "Heeeeeeeeey, let us up!"

"She's hangry," Matt clarified matter-of-factly.

Broken out of our conversations, we all laughed and Callum buzzed them up. Once at our door, Naomi made a beeline straight for the food which was steaming peacefully on the kitchen table.

"I'll get the plates..." I turned for the cupboards.

"I'll help!" Val offered, following me.

- - -

Once everyone was full and had poured their drinks, we settled into our new living room for game night to officially begin.