Chapter 9

FOLLOWING CHAPTERS ARE BEING REVISED

Hannah

"Josh I'm fine," I say for what feels like the millionth time in the last two minutes. Josh doesn't seem to get the message though and helps me to my chair. I mean the chair; It's not my chair anymore. All that time spent in this room organising and on Pinterest was for absolutely nothing.

He bends down and places my foot on his knee. I press a hand between my legs, over the skirt to hide my panties; they're lace and leave nothing to the imagination. His gaze seems to be solely on my foot though. Wow, a decent guy. There aren't many of those in the world.

He's about to touch the red spot but smartly refrains from doing it. "Its swelling."

I sigh. "Nothing like a good old burn salve and ice pack to cure it." I'm acting stronger than I feel. When all I'm wishing is to go back in time and keep my big gob shut for once in my life. I needed — need this job badly. The debt I've been trying to put off is catching up with me and I'm beginning to feel the full weight of it dragging me down.

Whenever I'm nervous and my life's falling apart in front of my eyes, I say shit I don't mean. I'm obsessed with control so evidently, when my life's falling apart I lose control of my mouth and just blurt every dumb thing out. It's something that's even hurt friendships in the past. My best friends advice I talk to someone about it and that maybe it has something to do with me bottling everything up, have even offered to come with me for support, but it's just my personality. I'm sure of it.

"I wish I could help..." he checks his watch. "But I have a meeting in two minutes. ." I can't believe Amelia fucked him for revenge. He's so sweet.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about it." I give his shoulder a light shove but he ends up stumbling and falling forward into my lap. A small squeak escapes me as his face plants right between my legs.

"What the fucks going on in here?" A voice shouts. My head snaps up in horror. Hayden's standing at the door, his hand white-knuckling the doorknob.

Josh's head follows the sound and his shoulders jump. I can't see his expression but I bet it mirrors mine.

"Save this shit for the fucking bedroom and not outside my damn office," he booms.

"I... it's not what you think. He stumbled and fe..." I trail off. Why am I explaining myself to him?

He narrows his eyes. "Don't bullshit me."

"She's not." Josh suddenly turns back to me. "I'm really sorry but I can't be late for this meeting. I'll have Ashley drop off a first aid kit." And with that he sprints out of the room, leaving me alone with him.

"I'm going, don't worry." Feeling defeated, I put my shoe back on and place a hand on the desk to steady myself as I get up. My strong upfronts gone like the sun. It's hidden behind the clouds though and will rise again soon. I hope.

I'm about to hop away but halt when he speaks, "put some ice and burn salve on it before leaving. You'll end up hurting yourself further if you jump in those."

I don't even have it in me to spurt out a smart retort, which is a surprise in itself. "You don't have to pretend to care."

"I don't care," he says nonchalantly. "You're suffering the repercussions of your own negligence. I just don't want you causing more disruption than you already have."