Chapter 11

FOLLOWING CHAPTERS ARE BEING REVISED

He turns his head. I smile weakly, "thank you."

He seems uncomfortable by my exclamation and just nods his head and steps inside his office, shutting the door behind him.

Chuckling lightly under my breath, I remove my heel and wince at the angry red raised skin. Hey, at least it matches my nail polish. Okay no that doesn't make me feel better.

I grab the ice pack and place it on my foot, sighing at the cool feeling. I close my eyes and lean back in the chair, bringing my feet up on it so I can hold the ice pack to my foot easier. It's not that major of a burn, it'll be gone in two-three days. I hope.

As I'm cooling my foot, I process everything that's happened in last twenty-four hours; I bumped into Hayden and because I was so mad at Ricardo — my subway boss — I took it out on Hayden. I threw my own phone in the bin thinking it was his and that he was asking for my phone number. He must have dropped his card bumping into me and I found it on the ground. I almost threw my files on him. But worst of them all is me accusing him of stalking me. Wow, I really do have a big gob. But then again, I was nervous and whenever I'm nervous I blabber. It's something I've been born with, unfortunately.

And he let me keep the job despite it all. I hate that he's only giving it because I'm in debt and was going to use my body to pay it off. But I can't think too deeply into it because I need the money. At this point, pride and self-respect is a strange concept to me.

Fuck, when did my life turn so damn complicated?

I open my eyes and stare at the money he left on the desk. That's a lot of money. I originally owed Rhett seven hundred but because I delayed two months he added two hundred on. I managed to get five from Hazel's mum and I still need to pay her back. She hasn't asked for it but it's eating me alive.

What if Hayden's one of Rhett's pets? No. He can't be. He's the son of a multi-millionaire or was it billionaire?

My anxiety and nerves are really at their peak today. Let's just hope I don't come out with more shit.

I'm struggling to apply the salve when someone knocks on my door. My eyes fly toward my open office door but no ones there. With a mixture of amusement and surprise, I look at Hayden's door. Is he knocking on my door?

"You can come in." I suck my lower lip to suppress a smile.

He opens the door and hesitantly comes inside. My mouth falls open and the salve tube drops from my hand at the sight of him before me. His suit jackets draped across his arm. His ties loose and the top two buttons on his t-shirt are undone, showing a sliver of his tan skin. I gulp, my throat suddenly dry. His big muscular arms are straining against the fabric and I can see his abs through the thin t-shirt. Now that I'm not hating on him I notice he's actually very good looking. I mean he could be a model.

"Miss Moon?" He says.

Blushing, I shake my head, realising I've been gawking at him whilst he's been calling me. "Huh, sorry?"

He nods his head toward my foot. "Do you need help?"

I turn into an actual tomato. I've been acting like such a bad bitch in front of him, yet here I am struggling to apply some burn salve to a minor burn. Also, let's not forget the crying.

"Erm... no I'll be fine." Was he offering to apply it for me? Don't be ridiculous Hannah, of course, he wasn't.

"I've been in there for over thirty minutes and you still haven't applied it. I would have expected you to be on your feet by now."

My eyes fly to the clock above his door. It's been thirty minutes?

"I'm sorry." I rub the cream on my fingers on my ankle. "I'll do this at home." He's being kinder than I deserve.

He picks up the landline off my desk. "No need. I'll call the nurse."

I wonder why they would need a nurse until I remember Amelia telling me about him and his brother fighting.

Me and my big sister Anna fight all the time, so much that we had to get separate rooms, but not so much that we need a nurse.

"Send the nurse to my assistant's office... what?" He checks his watch. "Isn't there anyone else on standby?" He starts pulling his tie off, arching his neck and giving me an eyeful of the pulsing veins straining against his skin.

Oh fuck me, he's really hot. I press my thighs together. What the fucks wrong with me? Since when am I attracted to males?

Hayden looks down at me and his eyes widen before diverting to the window behind me. I'm momentarily confused until I realise my skirts ridden up from my position on the chair and is revealing my panties.

I slam my feet down on the ground, mortified. Shouldn't have worn lace!

"Yeah that's fine," he grumbles and slams the phone down. I jump.

"Mostly everyone's gone home, including the nurse," he tells me. "You want me to take you to the hospital?"

Nope, I don't have time for that. "It's not bad enough for the hospital." Not a lie.

He scratches the back of his neck and my eyes instantly zoom in on his arms. I quickly look away. Today's just been a very long day and my brains looking for a distraction... along with my body.

"I've had first aid training," he declares unsurely, looking anywhere but at me. Is he shy? Never mind, I just heard myself.

Wait did he just offer to help me? I'm beginning to think he's purposely making me feel like the worst person to ever exist. "You don't have to I can..." I force myself to move a finger over the burn but end up pulling back and whimpering. "Fuck."

He licks his lips to conceal a smile.

My mouth falls open in a laugh. "Glad I'm entertaining you." Unable to wipe the goofy smile off my face, I roll my eyes.

How did he go from being a total dick to this? Does he have multiple personality disorder? And I don't mean that as a joke, I take mental health very seriously and get mad when people joke about bipolar... maybe he has multiple personality disorder? It could be why I have to read so many files. But I won't jump to conclusions so soon or ask him about it. I like to believe my big gob has an extent.

Rounding the desk, he kneels down on one knee and grabs the salve I dropped. "Let me."

Holy fucking shit... I must be dreaming.