Chapter 10

FOLLOWING CHAPTERS ARE BEING REVISED

I know without a doubt it's Hayden because I've never met someone as tall as him. He steps forward into the small ray of light coming through the window behind me, it illuminates his grave face and confirms what I already knew.

I drop my hands. "How much did you hear?" How many times do I have to humiliate myself in front of this guy?

"Enough," he says dryly. I can't read his expression and it's driving me insane. I want to know what he's thinking. Does he think I'm a whore for giving my body up to pay a debt? Does he... why the hell do I care about what he thinks? He can think whatever the hell he wants, I couldn't give two shits.

"Were you eavesdropping on me?" My tone isn't accusing because I'm not accusing him for once. I don't want to make a fool out of myself again by accusing him falsely.

"Yes and no." He shrugs. "You shouted and it disrupted my phone call so I was coming to tell you to shut up. But when I saw you crying..." he trails off.

I bite my lip. He's seen me cry too now. Great. what's next? "Sorry for shouting. I'll leave now."

He cocks his head, surprised.

Why is he... Right, this is the first time I'm apologising. I tuck my hair behind my ear and grab my bag. Just as I've stood up, he rounds the desk and comes to stand in front of me.

I keep my gaze lowered. I'm about to lose my virginity to a complete dick and on camera for the world to see. I've never cherished my virginity, but I did hope to lose it to someone I was in a relationship with.

"Excuse me." God was that small voice mine?

"You can stay," he says.

My head snaps up. "What?"

He rolls his eyes. "I said you can keep the job. Unless you want to fuck him."

My eyes widen. "You mean work for you?" I ignore the second thing he said. I was definitely crying because I wanted to fuck Rhett the skinny pig.

Horror marks his expression. "Not to fuck. I meant you can be my assistant."

I shake my head. "I know that's not what you were intending. But why do you want to keep me as your assistant? I was rude to you."

He picks up a snow globe off the desk and begins rolling it in his hand. Is that a tattoo on his wrist? "Do you want the job or not?"

"I do but—."

"No buts," he interrupts me. "You have files to read so get on it."

I narrow my eyes. "Are you doing this out of pity?" I don't want him feeling sorry for me. I'm not some charity case.

I instantly mentally slap myself. I need this job and I love my family so I need to shut off the bitch for once. But the issue is that in my sixteen years on this planet I still haven't found the off switch. Actually, I don't even think one exists.

He puts the globe back. "I don't like questions outside of work. If you'd read all the files you'd know that. So get on it."

Filthy rich snob. "Yes boss," I say mockingly. Stop it!

He sighs, looking down at my foot. "You should put some ice on it before it gets worse."

I follow his gaze. He's right. "Yes boss," I say sweetly. Too sweetly. I'm never going to get this right, am I?

His lips slightly upturn in a smile but he quickly catches himself. "How much do you owe him?"

"What? I mean sorry?" I'm not a robot — unlike him — so it's going to take me some time, especially since this has been my personality since I was born. Mum told me I used to show her attitude and bang doors shut at just three years old when I got mad.

"How. Much. Do. You. Owe. Him." He emphasises each word in a boring manner.

Bastard.

I restrain myself from glaring. "The first pay covers it." Not really, the second week does.

"I didn't ask that."

I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding. "Four hundred. Maybe nine."

He crosses his arms across his chest. "Well, Which is it? I don't have time for mind games."

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. You need this job. You need this job. I chant to myself, opening my eyes. "Four now, nine if I pay after a month."

"You were going to fuck him over four hundred? Do you know how much money he'll make out of that sex tape?"

I blush shaking my head. I can't believe he heard that.

"Thousands. He can make thousands off it, especially with-." He snaps his lips shut. "He's scamming you."

I place a hand on the desk for support, I don't trust my legs to not give out on me. "I don't have a choice."

"Turn him over to the police." He says it like it's so simple.

"His dads a barrister, he didn't fail to mention it the first time he—." It's my turn to snap my lips shut. I can't believe I almost blurted out what he did. Hell, I didn't even tell my best friends about it. Maybe Hazel was right about bottling shit up. She will be very smug if I tell her she was right. So that's exactly what I won't do.

He narrows his eyes. "The first time he what?"

"It doesn't matter. I can't turn him over to the police."

"You do realise you're probably not the first girl he's scammed," he counters.

My heart sinks at that and I turn and lean on the desk, looking out the window. "I don't have a choice," I repeat. He must think I'm selfish but I can't afford lawyers and his dads a damn barrister.

"Wait here." I don't stray my gaze from the window as I hear his footsteps retreat. A minute later he's back.

"Here," he says.

I look up at him and make a confused face.

He sends a pointed look toward his hand and I follow his gaze, my eyes widening when I see what's in it; cash. A lot of it.

I raise my eyes back to his. "I- what?"

"Pay it off."

"I don't... why are you doing this?" I was such a bitch to him. Unless he's also planning on making me fuck him for it. No no no! Stop! He's helping me. I need to stop seeing the worst in everyone.

But I just can't help asking, "what's the catch?" No one in this world does anything out of the goodness of their heart. It's a horrible thing to say but it's the sad truth.

"No catch. Just tone down on the bitchiness," he smiles. Oh my gosh is he smiling?

I roll my eyes but a smile creeps free. "I'll pay you back."

He gazes down. "Your foots getting worse."

I look down. He's right. "Right yeah." I sit in the chair and grab the burn salve from where I dropped it on the ground.

"You need to put ice on it first."

I startle and the lid drops from my hand. He's still here?

"Right, thanks," I keep my gaze pinned on the heel I'm removing but when I see him grab the door nob from my peripheral I raise my eyes and whisper, "Hayden."