2. A Journey Begins

Gildinwen was only halfway home when a very strange feeling came over her. She hadn't experienced anything like it since the day her mother had died.

"Father!" was her only thought as she discarded the heavy bag of herbs and roots she was carrying and raced for home.

Arriving back at the homestead she found her father to be in good health, but something terrible was happening – a large wagon was pulled up in the yard and two hearty men were busily throwing possessions into it.

"Father!" she gasped, breathless, "What's happening? Is it Argilin? What has my brother done now?"

"My child! My daughter!" Her father rushed towards her his face flushed with pleasure and excitement. "Don't be alarmed! It is good news! Great news!"

"But Father! Our things!"

"Forget them, they're not important any longer."

Behind him the men started carrying out books and papers.

"NO!! Not the books!" cried Gildinwen as she tried to push past her father to stop the ransack.

"I said 'Forget them!'" her father commanded, his voice strong despite his bent and weakened frame, and Gildinwen stood in mute acceptance, with only an anguished look to betray her loss.

"Right Master Amarnon, we're done now. Here's the money, exactly as we agreed." The man looked doubtfully at Gildinwen's stricken face, then shaking his head slightly, mounted the wagon beside his companion, and they were off.

In a stunned and unbelieving silence, Gildinwen walked into the house, bare now save for a few sticks of rough furniture. The shelves along the back wall, that had held her father's precious library, were empty now of all but dust. Running her hands over her dark hair in despair, she turned to see her father entering the doorway, the setting sun red behind him.

"Today I have had the news that I have waited my whole lifetime to hear."

Gildinwen's expression was suspicious.

"A new Alliance! Of Men and Elves! Gil-galad has sent forth his messengers to call for a force to fight the Darkness that approaches us."

"A messenger came here?!"

"Well, no, admittedly, but I heard it in the village."

"A messenger was in the village?" Gildinwen's face remained sceptical.

"No....I heard it from Bramar at the forge, and he heard it from a traveller who stopped to have his horse shod."

"You sold our library, because of some gossip you heard at the forge!"

"Look, it doesn't matter how I heard. It's true! I know it's true! The time has come, our family will rise again. We will once more ride with the great Elf Lords. And perhaps," he grinned, " we might find someone that thinks you're worth marrying before you turn into an old maid!"

"Oh father," Gildinwen replied sadly, shaking her head, "Don't you think that perhaps these rumours seem so true, because you desperately want them to be?"

"No! It is the time, we are going to join with the army." He eyes glowed with anticipation. "My son Argilin will carry the Banner. He will ride at the side of Gil-galad, proud and strong. He will distinguish himself in battle, and the House of Amarnon will be restored to glory." His excitement rose, "I have money here for the journey, and enough to buy a warhorse and armour. Argilin's accoutrements must be those of a great Warrior."

"Even if that's the only part of him that is." muttered Gildinwen under her breath.

"What was that?"