16. Neither the Time nor the place

She stormed into her billet, fists clenched with rage.
Elrond was only moments behind her. "Gil!"
She turned. Chin raised defiantly and eyes flashing with anger.
He raised his hands in a gesture of placation.
She stepped back, jaw set and nostrils flaring. Her chest heaved as she fought to control herself.
"Listen to me." He approached her slowly. "They did not mean to offend you."
"Well I am offended!" she snarled. "Where I come from telling someone that they are good enough to be a bedfellow but not to marry into the family- whether they ever intended to or not - is considered to be very offensive indeed."
"They are foolish Elves who know nothing outside their own world."
"I might have expected an insult like this from a common soldier, but never from those I had thought to be my friends." She laughed harshly, "Or is it that I am so kind and understanding, I will just let it pass?"
He took her gently by the shoulders and she felt the tears start to gather, thickening her voice, "I never asked for anything from you, never looked to the future, spared no thought for my reputation. I gave myself to you freely, both love and honour. Trusting you with all that I had."
"Hush, my love." He wrapped his arms about her, pressing his cheek to the top of her head. "They were but a few ill-chosen words, pay them no mind. They have no place between us."

Anger, uncertainty and an aching for comfort vied in her as he stroked her hair soothingly. Once she had quietened a little he stood back and brushed away her tears, before placing his hands once more on her shoulders. His face very serious, his grey eyes fixed onto hers. "There are matters which must be discussed between us, concerning the future. But this is not the place, nor is it the time." He looked deep into her eyes, shadowed as they were with misgiving, and lifted his fine hands to cradle her face, fingers stroking the forehead furrowed with doubt, "You know that I love you. I must ask you to trust me a little longer, my heart."
She felt herself lost in the depths of his eyes, and knew there would be no escape for her, even had she wished it. An wavering smile came to her lips, "I have bound my fate to yours, my lord, for whatever good or ill may come of it."
He sat her on the bed, and pulled up the chair to sit facing her. "Do not be too quick to judge the others."
She frowned again. "I do not understand what is so bad about my father having two wives, do Elves really consider it so terrible to marry again?"

Elrond nodded, "It is not unheard of, but it is deeply disapproved."
"But, why? What is the harm in it?"
"In the long ages past, before Men were even awakened, when the land of Valinor was in its glory of summer, Finwë took Míriel to wife. Their love was great, and a son Fëanor was born to them. But the bearing of him took all the strength of Finwë's wife, and she passed into the halls of Mandos. After many years of loneliness, Finwë took a second wife, Indis the fair, whom he loved also. Two sons she bore him, Fingolfin and Finarfin.
"But Fëanor was not pleased, and he had no love for Indis, or for his half brothers. He lived apart from them, and in secret he mastered his craft, and created the Silmarils. Immeasurably beautiful gems in which the light of the Trees, and the glory of the blessed realm was preserved imperishable. Then Melkor, the Spirit of Evil [1], desired the Silmarils for his own, and he whispered lies to Fëanor, fanning the resentment already smouldering in him. And to Fingolfin and Finarfin he said that their elder brother, being the father's favourite, would drive them from their inheritance. Thus did Fëanor become the first to break the peace of Valinor and draw a sword upon a kinsman.
"And in the wars of kin against kin, fought for many reasons, and the terrible strife over the Silmarils, ever were the elder line of Fëanor, who was the father of Maglor, and the younger line of Fingolfin, from whom I am descended, set against each other. Therefore has it become our custom to marry only once, and as is often the way with such things, the reasoning behind it has been largely forgotten and only inflexible tradition remains."
Gildinwen nodded slowly, "I understand, and to be fair we have a similar taboo against unmarried union."
He looked surprised, "Indeed?"
"Certainly." She smiled wryly. "Although it is most one-sided. For a man to have had  lovers before marriage is considered quite usual, but that same man would never dream of accepting a wife who had been with another."
"I see." He looked steadily at her for a long moment. "You really have trusted me with all that you have."
She blushed slightly, smiling.
"Amongst Elves, one may take lovers at will before marriage, indeed it is considered wise to do so. [2]  For the union once it is made will be final and binding, and is not to be taken lightly."
Gildinwen was thoughtful for a while. Then she looked up at him and grinned, "Actually, I think it was worth all that just for the look on Glorfindel's face."