The Surgery

That night after dinner, I was changed in my pj's and Zuko was applying his weird face cream for the burn. He still hadn't noticed some confectioners sugar in his hair. Granted the sugar was in the back, but it was still fun to watch. I turned over and lazily pulled up a blanket. The folder with the cancer surgery specifics was still in my bag. The innocent papers seemed to be taunting me. I had read them earlier ar dinner.

So tomorrow I'm going to be whisked around, going to various check ups and fiance meetings. Then they're going to put me under, then thirty minutes later. Half my thyroid is gone and I can go on with my life. Except I don't really want to.

Exploring the city had been fun. Now that Sokka and Katara are back in town I'll hang out with them. But then I'm leaving behind everyone here. I don't even know when Zuko's going to be released. It should be soon, his bandage is off for good. The cream and proper care can be done at his house. He doesn't need to be here.

Which leads me to the question, why has he stayed here this long? I've stayed here because of money reasons. But Zuko? I have no clue.

Momo had decided to stay the night. He was curled up on Zuko's bed. I lazily got up, and went to scratch the cat. I sat next to the sleeping cat. Stroking it softly as it gave sleepy purs. I smiled down at Momo. His life was simple. Can someone just turn me into a cat please?

I sighed and looked over at Zuko. "When are you gonna get released?" I asked sleepily. Zuko made eye contact with me in the small mirror.

"A week or so. Depends." He said gruffly, then went back to focusing on his face cream .  I yawn and lay down. Facing Momo as he slept next to my head.

"Good night." I called, yawning once more. Those pills have really taken their toll. I get sleepy easily and quickly. Yesterday I almost fell asleep during tea time. Hopefully the sleepiness won't last. I see no reason why it should.

"G'night." Zuko muttered. I smiled at him, and closed my eyes. I woke up in my own bed this morning. With a blanket carefully tucked in around me. I sat up and looked over at Zuko. He was still sleeping. I smiled over at him, and started getting ready.

~♡~
Cancer take me! This is boringgg, why am I even hereeeee? Help meeee. I'm gonna die of bordemmmm. I frowned at the business like man in front of us. He had what looked like a gray wig on, and his face was permanently screwed up by botox. I have never been more sorry for assistants like the young woman beside him. She looked just as bored. She gave me a sympathetic smile. Silently saying 'will this man shut up!?!'

The thought made me smile. I had been here for almost an hour. Gyasto was supposed to show up in a few minutes for a money briefing or whatever. This past hour this horrid horrid man in front of me had blabbered on and on about his previous cases. Look dude, I feel sorry for your earlier patients, but shut the heck up.

It's not often I want to swear at a person, but this man was testing my limits. A soft knock came from the door. I jumped up, grateful to move around. My bump pulsed in slight pain from the sudden movement. I ignored it and went to answer the door.

My Uncle stood there, a relieved smile on his face. "I hope I'm not late." Gyasto says walking into the shabby office.

"Nope, in fact Mr L'air you are just in time. Please have a seat." The man said gesturing to the two chairs. Flashing his annoyingly bright smile. I took a seat, not bothering to close the door. I knew Uncle Gyasto would close it. After we were both seated, the man dove into an explanation of numbers and various factors. Speaking so fast, it looked like even Uncle Gyasto had a bit of trouble keeping up. After about a minute of the man's  annoying number vomit, I zoned out.