Jerrys' Cafe

SUMMARY: Hank learns why the coffee shop he now frequents is called Jerry's Cafe. Oh, and dog talk.

Every day, Hank would go for a coffee at Jerrys' Cafe, and every day, Connor would serve him his coffee and try to converse with him as much as possible. The brunette male had always been very sweet, too. Hank was already warming up to him, despite himself. He usually did not trust easily, but Connor was so gentle. How could he not speak to him? Eventually, Connor knew his full name and where he lived.

Hank was not sure how to feel about it, instinctively wanting to build walls around himself and trust no one, but there was something different about Connor that he couldn't identify. Quite the fucking detective, he remarked internally.

About a week after he made Jerry's Cafe a part of his daily routine, he found out how it'd earned its name, meeting the red-headed male at one point while speaking with Connor.

Hank never paid the other waiters and waitresses any mind, since he was constantly so focused on Connor. But one day, he noticed something.

Hank was seeing two of the same person.

He was extremely confused and tapped Connor's shoulder, who was talking about his passion for dogs. Connor stopped talking and looked at him with a mirroring confused expression. Hank pointed at the two red-headed males, who looked completely identical. Connor laughed quietly. Hank wished to never forget that sound.

"That's Jerry," Connor informed him with a small smile. As if that helped.

"Which one?" Hank asked, looking between the two, eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"Both." Connor simply stated. Hank looked from him to Jerry and Jerry.

"They're... twins?" He said slowly. "Both named Jerry?"

"Triplets, actually," Connor said cheerily, pointing to the third red-head Hank hadn't noticed, that was at a register behind the counter. "Jerry is filling in for Simon. He got the flu." Connor continued, sounding a bit sad about whoever Simon was getting the flu. Hank felt a twinge of something deep within him. Jealousy, it felt like, but Hank pretended not to notice it.

"Oh," Hank said. He couldn't stop his mind from wandering, and he worried the idea that Connor was in a relationship before internally berating himself. Connor had to be 25 at most, and Hank felt like a dirty old man as he shooed away the fantasies that had started to build in his head.

"Do you have a dog?" Connor asked eagerly, breaking the awkward silence (silent, apart from Hank's awkward sips of his coffee) that had hung heavy in the air for a minute or so. Hank was happy about the subject change.

"Yeah, actually. A saint bernard." Hank pulled out his phone and opened his camera roll, scrolling through to find a picture of the big lump.

He found a particular picture that he felt captured the dog's personality. He tapped on it and showed his phone to Connor.

"Oh my god..." Connor whispered, eyes wide and mouth agape slightly. Hank had to tear his gaze from his pretty lips. That's dangerous territory, Anderson, he scolded himself.

"What? He ain' nothing special, just a big lump of fluff." Hank laughed. The picture was a picture of Sumo sleeping by the fireplace. Despite Hank's negative talk of the dog, he really loved the big bastard.

"B-big... and fluffy..." Connor was whispering, his eyes practically sparkling as he gazed at the dog in awe. Hank exhaled a laugh at Connor's reaction.

"Yep, that's about all he is. His name is Sumo." Hank told him, smiling at Connor's behavior. He took another sip of his coffee.

"Does he cuddle?" Connor asked, still staring at the dog lovingly.

"Pfft. Oh, yeah. It's all he does. He thinks he's a puppy." Hank answered. Connor fucking swooned, smiling very wide. He looked like he was about to start crying.

"Oh..." That was all Connor said at first, staring at the dog for a whole minute. "Yeah. I'm in love with your dog." He said, closing his eyes and holding his finger up matter-of-factly. Hank chuckled. Somewhere internally, he wished Connor was in love with him. He shoved that thought so far down and tried to never think it again. "I would really love to meet him sometime." Connor finished, looking back up at Hank with that stupid smile that Hank loved. Hank's mind immediately jumped to Connor wants to come to my house? He had to ignore that thought as well.

"Do you have a dog?" He asked Connor.

"Oh, no. I wish I did, but I'm probably too busy to take them on walks. Plus, I kind of want-" Connor cut himself off, blushing. Hank didn't question it but in his mind, he could not stop wondering what the hell Connor wanted.

"Oh. Well, that's too bad." Hank lamented, mainly hoping to break the awkward silence that had come back with a vengeance. He took a final swig of his coffee, finishing it and putting the mug down.

It was at this time that Hank also noticed he was 8 minutes late.

"Oh, shit. I'm like 10 minutes late, I gotta go. I'll see ya, Con." Hank grabbed his phone and waved at the younger man, who waved goodbye back with a smile.

"Bye, Hank!" He called after him.

Hank was beginning to become a morning person, and it almost scared him. Almost.